Thread: Lands of Exile - One land, three maps

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Map Lands of Exile - One land, three maps

I made these maps for the project Avalanche. Map 1 for general information, map 2 shows the fractions and map 3 the deployment of the various armies.
    I was provided with a copy of the RPG ressources: it's incredibly detailed and the interior illustrations by Greg Taylor are fantastic.

Done in PS and Illustrator.

As the files are very large I place outgoing links to the images.

I really like that first one. The only thing that bothers me about it is that the forest tree trunks are one solid mass and it makes it look more like a cliff/mesa type thing instead of individual trees... Anyway, good job!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Just saw these over at DeviantART, nice work Sapiento and I agree with Ravells, I like the first a little better as it seems a little livier, but the other ones are nice too. Repped.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Nice work, I really like the third map and how you made it look like it was spread out on a table. Kudos

These maps are fantastic! Not to jump on the bandwagon, but personally, I also like the first map the best.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done Sapiento, though I do agree with JFJr about the forests on the first map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hi !!!

I'm the one who did commissioned those maps. I'd like to point out something, which was a real challenge here :
    Normally, whatever the product (be it rpg, games, books ...), there is ONE map describing the world.
    With Avalanche, we decided a very different approach : there would be MANY maps ...

So, we commissioned Robert with three maps in mind : each would serve a different purpose AND have a different style. Quite a challenge, or so we thought.
    It turned out that only the third map was a real mess. We looked up for examples but couldn't find any.

Anyway, Robert did a great job in a very collaborative way. And we now think there is room for more maps !!! An economic or demographic one, for instance.

Finally, from a rpg point of view, we think that this has great value : a DM can show the map he wants, depending on what he wants to show his players.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Thank you all.
    It seems my new approach for tree trunks needs more polishing.
    Other than that, the project was - and is - very interesting and challenging. At the moment I work on city maps, which will be in a similar style like my Gantilia city map.