Thread: CC3 for duplicating a hand-drawn style ?

Help CC3 for duplicating a hand-drawn style ?

Hello all,

I have Campaign Cartographer 3 (CC3) and I've just started getting into learning how to used it. Our group is about to start a campaign soon and I'm setting it in the world of Birthright (specifically the country of Roesone). As part of a learning exercise, I want do duplicate the style of map they present in country guidebook. The map I'm trying to duplicate is here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roesone.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	252.3 KB 
ID:	25645

I've loaded this into CC3 and traced the coastline and rivers. I'm at the point where I'd like duplicate some of the hand-drawn features of the map:
    - the shading and/or lines off the coast and rivers,
    - the rough and uneven nature of the roads,
    - patches of farmlands, trees, etc.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roesone_WIP.png 
Views:	268 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	25644

After poking around a bit, I'm suspecting that this all may be easier to do in something like Paint.NET (or ideally Photoshop if I was made of money!). Any tricks or tips out there where I could get the effect I'm looking for? Ideally, I'd like to have the zooming nature of a CAD program like CC3 but I'm not sure how much of that I'd really use. CC3 is great for a specific style of map but I'd like to do something similar to the existing style.

Ideas?

Well, having given CC3 a try - the constant crashes are just killing me for what I want to do. With the unstability of the software I think I'll try looking for an older copy of Photoshop and give that a go.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

You may also want to try the GIMP, it's a free graphics editor comparable to Photoshop. You can download it from http://gimp.org