Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: June Entry - Frodo's Journey

Lol...I've got the books out now. They spent so long at Rivendell because Elrond was waiting for his scouts to return and they decided they could wait no longer. Update to the 'map'. At the moment I've got the chapter divider widths set by the number of pages in each chapter so the Council of Elrond, which is the longest chapter by far, has the widest divider but funnily enough, nobody goes anywhere and the whole chapter takes place in one day. I'm not sure that it's all that easy to tell which chapters have more pages than others, I think I'm going to redo it so the width of the chapter dividers is measured by time (so all the ascending lines will be straight) and the page count will be little bar charts within chapters as had thought to do originally.

I'm also going to do that multi-line thing to show which companions Frodo and Sam had with them during the journey, but I won't be tracking the journeys of people once they have parted company as it might make the map too messy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails render_03.pdf  

This version looks clearer, doesn't it? It's going to be a challenge fitting in the chapters in TT and ROTK in such a small space. Things happened very quickly after the death of Boromir. I guess they just seemed longer because there were multiple storylines from that point on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails render_04.pdf  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks much clearer
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

wow, very creative concept ye got there ravs!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This is such a cool concept, Ravs, and it looks really good so far. I can't wait to see the finished product. I feel rather geeky for the fact that the chapter names at the bottom recall the entire story lol ...

This is interesting and I want to look at it large size but...
    How come when I click on the thumb it wants to download a .pdf? Is this right or is something going on with the site?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks everyone!

@Jax, the attachment is a .pdf. This is all done in vector and as pdf works in vector it means you can zoom in as far as you like without getting pixellation. The site now thumbnails .pdfs (which is really cool) but you still need to download the pdf to open it.

The objective here is to be able to print out the map on a sheet of A4 paper and for it to still be legible. Just about done now, I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of the book titles on the left hand side and instead having a mini-linear map there to show the nature of the terrain over distance....might be too much though but as there is still time I might give it a try. The filesize is only 200k at the moment so I have lots of room to play with!

Hmm...I'm really tempted to do a grayscale version using Tolkien's style and instead of the lines have a linear picture map following the 'route'....hmm.

### latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails render_11.pdf  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast