Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: WIP - Ascension's Photoshop Town Tutorial Follow-Along

96. HOUSING
    97. Let's get started on this and really make some headway. Oftentimes you will see the palisade walls have nothing under them except for things like hay, carts, and tools. This is not very efficient for a growing village so I choose to make houses right up against the wall. This allows more people to live there without having to move the walls or build upward or build new sections of town with more walls. Of course the people who live here are in some serious danger in case of an attack but hey, the people who live here aren't rich either. The guards have to have something to walk around on anyways so why not just drop a wall in and let people live there? This part will be exactly like how we did the bridges. Draw out a long line, ctrl+click, duplicate layer, noise, motion blur, deselect, merge down, color overlay, gradient overlay.
    98. This next bit is important because we didn't have to do it for the mill. The layer styles have to be rasterized (this means that they become part of the layer instead of just being an effect upon the layer) or else the gradient overlay will get messed up once we start rotating. So create a new layer, link it to the house layer, on the layer stack move this layer underneath the house layer, click on the house layer and merge down. Now we can grab the Rectangular Marquee tool, drag out a selection, move, rotate, repeat.
    99. For individual houses we'll do exactly like we did for the mill...minus the layers for deck, railing, etc.
    100. I like to put some shacks in to denote lower class housing, again, just like the mill but the color overlay is slightly more yellowish.
    101. Lastly, I put in some huts with a hay-looking roof of a tan or yellow color overlay.

NOTES: I started with the housing in the slums. First, I wanted to make the ground appear a little less inviting, so I created a layer (between the terrain and the road layers) named "Slum Ground". I used the polygonal selection tool to snap out a rough area for the slums (using my roads as a guide). I then feathered the selection with a 15px size. I then used a pattern style for a cracked mud pattern from my library, reduced to 10% size. I then switched to the eraser tool and selected a large splatter brush, and used it to cut through and erode the mud so some areas of green poked through. I then proceeded to place the huts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TownTutorial42.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	25719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TownTutorial43.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	25718
    Last edited by phatticus; 06-10-2010 at 05:29 PM.

I'm looking forward to the final pdf. I have not managed this tutorial, because of my bad english and lack of pictures. Please post your notes in a different color. They are very hard to read.

OK, so I have determined that I made some serious mistakes early in the process, and to figure it out I am reworking those early stages. I will post more when I get to the point that I have something to show. Thanks for the input so far, I am learning a TON in the process.

OK, I must be doing something wrong when beginning construction of the river. I am looking great, up to the inner shadow. If I set the choke to 33%, I can see nothing of my river. It looks nothing like you depict in this screenshot. It turns into a brown muddy mess with no blue whatsoever. At the end of the river process, I end up with something that looks more like a muddy, grass road than a river. Any suggestions?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can't answer your question today as my brain is out of the office. I'm hoping it comes back within the next few days. In the meantime could you post a screenshot showing the layer palette? When calling for it fails I just put up screenshots and it comes back.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ask and you shall receive Ascension.

Here is the screen shot that you requested. I don't know if I messed up on of the steps or if I am experiencing an absence of basic Photoshop skills.

If you would like any more details or screenshots, please ask. Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	26344  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

My first thought is that your rivers are too thin, fatten those puppies up...take em from streams to rivers. It seems like you're a little too far "zoomed out". My second thought is that the opacity levels are pretty low, because the rivers are thin, so you don't have any solid areas. Third, change the settings and see what happens...half of the fun is striking out on your own and seeing what you come up with. It might be golden or it might be junk but then you can try something else and that might be golden.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345