Thread: The Sundered Lands

Map The Sundered Lands

Well, it has been quite some time since I last worked on any maps, but I figured a new D&D campaign is worthy of a nice new map. This map is a far cry from the last world map I posted here, and I have developed a great deal more skill since then (at least I like to think so). I hope you enjoy!

The Sundered Lands

In ages long past Golen's Hordes sought dominion over the lands of the old lords, what is now called "The Sundered Lands." Rather than see his country defiled by outsiders, Tothen, Highlord and Magus, razed his kingdom to the ground. The echoes of that action resonate to this day. Now, a burning sea sea of sand, at the heart of which stands a pillar of never ending conflagration, separates the lands of the old lords from the rest of the world. The Old Empire has fallen, Tothen's kingdom holds on by a thread, nobles bicker and vie for power, a new merchant order seeks control of the failing land, and the common people pray for change.

The Sundered Lands is a continent rife with scandal, intrigue, lawlessness, and some good old fashioned hack-n-slash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SunderedLands.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	691.2 KB 
ID:	25671  
    Last edited by boognish; 06-09-2010 at 11:29 AM.

Guild Member

Looks fantastic. Is this a small section of your world or do you have a bigger layout showing all the continents? Just curious how you work this out.

Very nice indeed. Are those mountains and forests hand drawn?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Well, this particular campaign is pretty localized so I just created the one continent. Usually I try and do a whole world, but the problem with that is sometimes parts of the world created are never utilized by the players. This approach seems more manageable, and if the players want to venture out into the unknown I can whip something up pretty fast

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Very nice indeed. Are those mountains and forests hand drawn?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    I don't know whether to answer yes or no. I didn't use any filters or anything of that sort to create any of the effects on the map, so i guess you could say they are hand drawn. However, I also didn't draw every pixel by hand. I only use brushes, but I try and get creative with them so they are doing most of the work for me. For instance, the mountains are a combination of stone and grunge brushes over which i layered darker and lighter areas of hatching, and then highlights to capture the peaks. The forests were done with various brushes shapes from the wet media brush set in photoshop. Sorry for being so long-winded.
    Last edited by boognish; 06-09-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hey, sometimes the answer is long Thanks for explaining your process!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's very nice looking; I love the colors.