Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP Echo Base

Wip WIP Echo Base

just a little something I started working on to give me a break from the other map I'm working on.

I've always been much more of a sci-fi rather than fantasy geek, and I wanted to do something like mapping out a military base themed on Mechwarrior and Halo.
    so here is what I've put together so far, it isn't nearly finished yet, but I thought I'd put it up and get some feedback.
    The Pelicans I got from deviantart, a guy called TroopaKoopa put it together from in game screen shots.
    here's his link here: http://troopakoopa.deviantart.com/ar...%3AMR-FUD&qo=2

I picked up other graphics and things from google images

I'd like to hear what everyone thinks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MechBase copy.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	25695  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Lookin' good so far, I really like the texture used for the grass.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks SG!
    I'm actually thinking about maybe setting this up as a VT or battlemap...the only thing though is that I haven't had any experience with typical rules or methods of play in any kind of rpg game...(except maybe Diablo a long time ago)
    The only game I can really think of in the way of tactical and strategy games would be Risk...which could maybe work if modified a little bit
    does anyone have any pointers or advice for setting up rules for a game?

It is looking good! Some nice textures you have there.

Small suggestions: The little green hexagons on the north wall look a little too 'clean' (they're unshadowed as well). Not sure what you're using to make the map but it might be worth putting a drop shadow / inner shadow so they integrate better with the wall. Some of the elements have a black outline and others don't (e.g. the wall and the hexagons) which lessens the effect of an integrated whole.

Not sure if the ship on the left is meant to be in the air or on the ground - you can suggest either by using a drop shadow and playing with the distance it is away from the ship.

For rules at battles on this scale you might want to take a look at 'At Close Quarters' by BITS which is for Traveller but could easily be repurposed for your needs.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe there allready is a drop shadow from the airborne ship - but its to far away from the ship so it seems disconnected. Move it back slightly under the ship and lighten it some more to show distance ... otherwise looking good - maybe the buildings could use some patina/dirt/scorch marks
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

yeah, there is a drop shadow...I was wondering if it was too far away*fixed*
    also finished the north enclosure and towers...not sure what I am going to put into it yet...probably either a weapons testing field or some kind of excavation area...they perhaps just found some kind of artifact...
    when I planned it out it was supposed to be more like some kind of enclosure for wild-life testing, we'll see
    @tilt: yeah, I have some ideas for weathering the buildings, and the terrain will show some action too.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

I saw "Echo Base," and I was thinking of the rebel base on Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back, but this is a nice work. I can see a use for this in one of my sci-fi or Mutants & Masterminds campaigns.
    John Grigsby
    Gaming Operations Director, CoastCon 37
    Member-at-Large, CoastCon 37

Currently using Dundjinni, Photoshop CS3, and MapTool
    Unless otherwise stated, any work I post here can be freely used and distributed provided credit is given to me as the originator. If you find it useful or make modifications, I'd love to hear about it.

latest work...
    still a lot more work to be done of course...but I like how things are generally turning out
    I had a lot of fun making the machines too, I think they turned out pretty well for the scale.
    I'm not all too happy with the base ground and road textures yet...I'm still working on layering things up, but it's 4 AM, and I need a break, so I thought I'd call it a morning and upload the latest work
    thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MechBase copy2.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	3.92 MB 
ID:	25722  

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Looking great! The base is really starting to take shape, now.
    John Grigsby
    Gaming Operations Director, CoastCon 37
    Member-at-Large, CoastCon 37

Currently using Dundjinni, Photoshop CS3, and MapTool
    Unless otherwise stated, any work I post here can be freely used and distributed provided credit is given to me as the originator. If you find it useful or make modifications, I'd love to hear about it.

thanks whtknt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast