Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Seems Odd

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Heh.....come on Gandwarf....you've got to be just a little bit flattered that someone has put an entire history to your city!

This kind of stuff actually makes me love the internet more. Your map has been ripped off, but ripped of with a lot of love.
    Haha...
    It doesn't really bother me Ravells. Just curious what kind of history that person has written for the city. It does indeed look like he put a lot of love in it.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Haha...
    It doesn't really bother me Ravells. Just curious what kind of history that person has written for the city. It does indeed look like he put a lot of love in it.
    use google translate.... thats what I did....while not a perfect translation, it should be close enough.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

So has anyone heard anything back from these guys or are we going to have to point wotc at them?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Member Facebook Connected

From a personal standpoint (as my work isn't worth stealing), "borrowing" materials is not uncommon, particularly when it comes to fantasy materials. I can list at least a dozen sites off the top of my head that display artwork from professionals and call them "tributes." Some give due credit, others blatantly claim it as their own, thinking that no one will catch them. Myself, I have used bits and pieces (often modified) of professional art work in my personal sites, but I always try to get permission, give due credit to the originator and will remove it if asked.

I like the idea behind the site, as it puts a lot of good artwork in one place. On the other hand, if you are going to do this kind of thing, common courtesy (not to mention common sense) dictates that you get permission where possible and if you have made all reasonable efforts at communicating with the artist but failed, give credit. In the Digital Age, copyrights seem to have been "forgotten" by many folks. Some don't care, or cannot afford to take legal action, but others, such as Wizards, can and will do so.
    John Grigsby
    Gaming Operations Director, CoastCon 37
    Member-at-Large, CoastCon 37

Currently using Dundjinni, Photoshop CS3, and MapTool
    Unless otherwise stated, any work I post here can be freely used and distributed provided credit is given to me as the originator. If you find it useful or make modifications, I'd love to hear about it.

Personally, the greatest annoyance is that no one is stealing any of my stuff. Maybe folks are intimidated by my fleet of powerful lawyers...?

Default Did it already...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    So has anyone heard anything back from these guys or are we going to have to point wotc at them?
    I did that already, I called WotC on the telephone. My concern was more for Mike Schley, than WotC itself, but I couldn't get a hold of Mike, so I called WotC Customer Support and reported the site, and the specific instances of their maps in that site's World Map section.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Member Facebook Connected

It's worth noting that there are also a few works specifically labeled as belonging to ProFantasy, as well.
    John Grigsby
    Gaming Operations Director, CoastCon 37
    Member-at-Large, CoastCon 37

Currently using Dundjinni, Photoshop CS3, and MapTool
    Unless otherwise stated, any work I post here can be freely used and distributed provided credit is given to me as the originator. If you find it useful or make modifications, I'd love to hear about it.

I used to have a pretty lax view about things I considered to be "victimless" theft. I was even overjoyed when I found a site, many years ago, that uploaded the full text and images from numerous books (including every dnd book and module imaginable). Then I ran across a plea from Virginia Heinlein, asking that people please stop posting her late husband's books as those revenues were now her sole means of support and that the free copies were drastically affecting her dwindling income. That changed my views considerably.

Granted, that's a bit different but imagine the following:

You walk into an office about to start an interview for your dream job. Fully confident in your abilities, you proudly display your portfolio. After flipping through the artwork, the interviewer says "What are you trying to pull? These aren't yours. I've seen them on the internet under another name."

If the images were first seen by the interviewer on another site and credited to another name, the real artist will have to prove they are really his. But if the interviewer thinks they aren't he may simply show the artist the door, never voicing his suspicions and never giving him the opportunity to prove they are his. And never calling him back.

I urge anyone who has had their work stolen and posted under another name to contact the perpetrator and ask that the work be removed from their site, or at the very listed properly credited. Not only do you protect your own work, you let them know that they can't continue unnoticed and unchallenged. You may very well protect another artist from the situation described above.

< Places soapbox back in the laundry room >

I don't think anyone here would care so long as credit was given to the artist who did the piece. It does seem like a good site but if they failed to respond to the efforts made to contact them it would seem it's not important enough in their mind and THAT is something puts me off. Maybe they are just slow and something will be worked out as soon as they realize it?

I'm just one of those old-fashioned folks who has a value system that triggers when I see stuff like this and I want it fixed even though nothing of mine is there (haha, like they would want my one piece anyway). It's the principle of the thing for me and I know this kind of stuff has to effect some of you who are more prolific and have been at it for a while.

I hope this comes to a good conclusion for everyone but the world can be an unjust place and sometimes I just have to let it go. Sometimes having a sense of justice sucks but I wouldn't want to be without it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

It depends on the license of the piece. Some of the pieces on there are commercial copyrighted works. All three of mine (that I've found) are CC licensed, so it's less of an issue. However if one of the maps I've done for publication turned up there, then I could get in trouble with the company - which is not really what I'm after.

Their direct contact seems to be down so I've posted directly to their forums with a complaint. I'll let you know how I get on.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast