Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paladar

Guild Journeyer

Wip Paladar

Well, I really don't know how long it is since I last posted something in this forum. I have been lurking here regularly but work has been hell this season and my free time is extremely scarce. However, as it usually happens, after periods of stress, my favorite escape is my world! So, I decided to travel to an area that I love, but is not as developed as I'd like it to be.

The map of Eredane by Dain has been very inspiring and so here is my result. Not quite as nice but was worth the try. The banner-names of Dain is going to be a whole new school I believe!

I post it as a WIP mostly because I am sure someone will have a helpful comment or two and then I am also preparing some nice additions...when I have time!

Feels good to be back in imagination land guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paladar-revising-stamped copy.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	25953  

Looking good so far. I really dig this style of map, the palette, symbols, etc. Looking forward to see it develop.
    Sláinte

"'Round the world and back again, that's the sailor's way!"
    Willie Wonka
    Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

http://warforsouthernindependence.blogspot.com/
    My blog exploring some unpopular truths about the war that defines our nation.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Lookin' good so far
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Beautiful, just beautiful. Adding in those banners really does make a map hum and sing.

Lookin real good - I like the old parchment look you've got.

One of the few things that's bugging me, however, is the white glow around some labels - it seems out of place on a map like this. If anything, I'd add a drop shadow that's filled out in the lightest parchment color you can find on the map. It'll still help your text pop, but at the same time still look like it was drawn / painted on.

Wow, fantastic start! I agree with TheImperial, the glow doesn't fit. Perhaps you consider to desaturate the colors of the labels and banner? Or you could make two versions

Oh yeah, that has a real warm feeling to it. Thank you for posting it's very nice and I look forward to more.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Journeyer

First of all thanks for all the comments and feedback! Here is an update on the map.

I tried to rework the geography labels and get rid of the white glow and make them glue better with the background. I also desaturated the labels and the banners. And finally I put some coat of arms for the castles of the region. These are very important sites as you can understand. Oh, I also changed the compass rose to something more...em, different!

There are some few things that I want to check and I shall call this one finished!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paladar-v2.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	26023  

Very good progress. Normally the coat of arms are not that similar, because they have to be differed easily during battles. If this is a small region it implies that the leaders are related in someway. Heraldry is an exciting topic, if you are interested just google around.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Katto View Post
    Very good progress. Normally the coat of arms are not that similar, because they have to be differed easily during battles. If this is a small region it implies that the leaders are related in someway. Heraldry is an exciting topic, if you are interested just google around.
    Indeed you are right about the coat of arms. But they are similar for a purpose. These castles belong to the same religious order, that worships the Sun God and that it protects this special area. So this is why I tried to have a common theme between all the coat of arms.

I hope it doesn't seem out of place now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast