Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printing Maps

Default Printing Maps

Hello, I'm new here and new the D&D. I ordered some miniatures off of amazon and am waiting to order the books. But I was wondering what everyone prints their maps out on and how to figure out the scale to print it? Thanks

It depends. What software are you using?
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

I don't actually have any software to make a map just yet. But the few I've found on here so far ( the shadowfell keep one) I've opened up with MS paint. But I also have photoshop. Whichever works better. Is there any certain paper to use or any size? I have an HP printer if that matters.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Photoshop will do nicely, as will GIMP (the free and open source graphic editor). Your printer won't matter much, except for its paper-size limitations. Use whatever paper you have available. For instance, I make my maps in GIMP, then print them on tiled sheets of 8.5x11 (normal letter-size) paper. Then I just tape them together to put on the table for game.

I run an RPG Map Printing service called Gamer Printshop (hence my name), and print large format maps up to 36" x ?, though I can use 42" paper photo satin media, then offer lamination. Some guild members use my service - see my Sig.

Of course, I print many of my maps all in large format sizes, laminated then used in our Pathfinder games, so I'm kind of lucky that way...

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah.. I want your printer GP
    I print on my desktop A4 printer (about letter size) - or sometimes manages to get a friend who has an A3 laser printer on his job to do my printing... Had my own A3 printer some years ago, but when it broke I never got around to buy a new, they are a bit expensive.
    I use photoshop to print from, mostly because I love the program but also because I'm certain I can setup the print so it doesn't scale it down making 1 inch squares smaller to "fit the paper"
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

I don't print many of my maps and view them on a TV or monitor. If I had to print them then I would get the free little app called PosteRazor and run that on a map and it scales and chops it into A4 sheets ready to print. Very cool. If I wanted the whole table top covered in one sheet then id see Gamerprinter above

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Photoshop will do nicely, as will GIMP (the free and open source graphic editor). Your printer won't matter much, except for its paper-size limitations. Use whatever paper you have available. For instance, I make my maps in GIMP, then print them on tiled sheets of 8.5x11 (normal letter-size) paper. Then I just tape them together to put on the table for game.
    How is it you manage to get PS to print it in tiles? Is there some kind of setting to get it to print a larger map, but in several prints to form the whole?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

one way would be the manual way ... open your file, choose the crop tool [C] in the tool workspace you can enter what size the final document should be or just follow your grid if you have one. press "enter" to finish your cropping - print the result. Press ctrl+z to undo the cropping and repeat process for the next area.
    If you have InDesign you can just place the same image on several pages Letter/A4 and move it around within the frame.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by sgmalice View Post
    How is it you manage to get PS to print it in tiles? Is there some kind of setting to get it to print a larger map, but in several prints to form the whole?
    Or export an image and use posterazor
    Or if using windows, use paint (yes paint) which will automatically break up the image onto whatever the page size is.

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast