Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Need something new to read

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Most of the ones I would have recommended have been mentioned- but other books by Glen Cook - The Garret Files (Private eye in Fantasy setting) & the Dread Empire Books are very good.

Shadow Moon/Dawn/Star by George Lucas & Chris Claremont - A continuation of Willow, but well-done nonetheless.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Okay...
    Always good to read and a mix between many genres.

Robin Hobb (read all of them... just get them, just read them and enjoy the expansive inter-connectedness).
    Dostoyevsky: Crime & Punishment, The Idiot... both great and both really let you explore inside the mind of people.
    H P Lovecraft: Classic "creepy" horror. Excellent reading.
    Asimov: Read the short stories. The Foundation series is great but the short stories are the best.
    Terry Pratchett: If you have a cartoon brain with a big British Comedy twist, Pratchett is pure gold.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hmmm.

Definitely Black Company. The granddaddy of all gritty military fantasy.
    Alastair Reynolds - his stuff is a bit more hard scifi than I usually read, but he can also tell a story, something that most hard scifi authors can't seem to master.
    Tilt mentioned the Hyperion series - definitely up there in my top five favorite scifi reads. Also well worth reading is Simmons' two volume series comprised of 'Ilium' and 'Olympos'.
    On the horror front, everyone should read 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin. Think 'I Am Legend' crossed with 'The Stand'. It is AWESOME.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! I decided to go with Neverwhere and the first Rain Wilds book for today's audible credits, but I am now armed with a list when I go to Borders to spend my gift card, with lots of books waiting in the queue on audible as well. I'm ALWAYS looking for something to read though, so please feel free to continue posting up favorites!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

!!.. don't read Rain Wilds before reading Tawny man series... or you will have some plot spoilers...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

oh and Juggs are right... Terry Pratchett is fantastic, very light reads by the "Douglas Adams" of fantasy ... not all books are great, but all are funny and some are hillarious
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

:O ... crap, they didn't have those ones. Does that one start with Fool's Errand? And I've already picked up the first Pratchett book, but audio is not apparently the format for those ones; I'll have to pick it up in print because I just couldn't get into listening to it.

Blog Entries

yep... starts with fools errand. And concerning Pratchett - his first book is definitly not his best but it explains how his world works ... some of my favorites are "Guards, Guards" and "Mort"
    regs tilt

I just can't resist tossing in my two cents here . . .

The Ender and Ender's Shadow series by Orson Scott Card (more Sci-Fi than Fantasy, but, collectively, probably my all-time favorites after LoTR)
    The Mithgar series by Denis McKiernan
    The Sword Dancer Saga by Jennifer Roberson
    The Dragon Prince and Dragon Scroll series by Melanie Rawn

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

bloody hell, I was just looking at my Orson Scott Card collection and Melanie Rawn collection on the shelf, and came over to suggest them Mr Wolfe, you beat me to it

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast