Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Need something new to read

@ Jaxilon - As I mentioned earlier, nearly all the Mithgar stuff by McKiernan is great. Although they weren't published as such, there is a chronological order to them that slips my mind at the moment.
    -Dragondoom
    -The Dragonstone
    -Iron Tower Trilogy
    -Silver Call Duology
    -Voyage of the Fox Rider
    -Eye of the Hunter
    -Silver Wolf, Black Falcon
    -Tales of Mithgar (Collection of short stories)
    -Red Slippers (collection of short stories)
    -The Vulgmaster (Graphic Novel that I have yet to find a copy of)

The only one I haven't liked is the latest, Jade Tower, I think. It just felt odd for a McKiernan Mithgar work. He's got another series that I haven't picked up yet. I'll have to get to that one of these days. And a good call on the Coldfire Trilogy. I just read that here within the last year. As for more additions . . .

The Riddle Master Series by Patricia McKillip
    Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny
    The Cleric Quintet by R.A. Salvatore

I could probably go on and on and on and on . . .

For my part, I've been trying to branch out into different genres of fiction as of late without much success. I'm so picky about what I read, and if I'm not completely caught up in things by the end of the first chapter, I tend not to finish.

GW
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 06-12-2010 at 06:57 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ooh, the Amber books are awesome. Amber was one of the many things I started and gave up on for this month's challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Ooh, the Amber books are awesome. Amber was one of the many things I started and gave up on for this month's challenge
    Yeah, I thought about trying to do the Courts of Chaos, myself. Just been so busy this month with other things. Ironically, I was just thinking of doing the maze from Labyrinth, seeing as how I'm fixing to sit down and watch it with some friends of mine a little later this evening.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

You know what we really need is a chart of the Novels mentioned that we can rate somehow. Not sure how to rate exactly: 'Compass Up'/'Compass down' or just compasses from 1-5 or some such thing. That way we can all pitch in on the ones we have read.

Amber - Man I read those so long ago it's a fuzzy haze. I think I was in Junior High or something. I just read "Cleric Quintet" and that was pretty good.

Has anyone mentioned "The Books of the Swords" by Saberhagen? If you like some mythology behind your novels you might want to check them out.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

You remind me of the babe!

So, finished Neverwhere, that was indeed very good.

...man, sometimes I really hate my trackball. Hit the wrong button and I went back a page and I lost my whole comment.

I second the recommendation for the Temeraire series by Naomi Novick. It would technically be called fantasy but it reads more like historical fiction because it really is an alternate history. Think of what the Napoleonic wars would be like if there were dragons too. It is told from the point of view of a British Navy officer turned dragonrider, and I absolutely love it. There are six novels currently out (in order: His Majesty's Dragon, Throne of Jade, Black Powder War, Empire of Ivory, Victory of Eagles, Tongues of Serpents).

My favorite right now is the Tamir Triad by Lynn Flewelling. Worried that the usurper to the throne will kill the rightful heir before she can take her place, the main character is forced to take the form of a male thanks to magic. Because this magic is so absolute, she grows up believing that she is actually a boy. She is haunted by the ghost of her twin brother, who was killed to help make the magic work.

While I love the Tamir Triad a lot, it is even better if you have read some of Flewelling's Nightrunner books first. Both Nightrunner and the Triad take place in the same world, but separated by 500 (or more, I'm not quite sure) years. This series is also a lot of fun and is one of my favorites. The Nightrunner has a completely different feel and follows two spy/thieves (though this is not a good way to describe them) and has a more episodic feel in the storytelling while still being connected to a larger picture. (For example, the first two novels are directly connected, the third can stand on its own, and the fourth and fifth are directly connected. I'm not sure if it'll carry on into the sixth or not, because I'm in the middle of the fifth right now.) In the end, I feel like you can't have her world without either part, and it is an excellent blend. I recommend the reading/listening order be in the publishing order: Luck in the Shadows (Nightrunner), Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner), Traitor's Moon (Nightrunner), The Bone Doll's Twin (Triad), Hidden Warrior (Triad), The Oracle's Queen (Triad), Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner), and The White Road (Nightrunner).

I'm not sure if you read Young Adult fiction very often, but I would also recommend the Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy. I wish this series had been around when I was younger, because I would have really appreciated the mature plot and the clever wordplay. It takes place (mostly) in Modern Day Ireland, and the mentor to the main character is, for lack of a better word for what he is, a lich. A lot of inspiration for this comes from H.P. Lovecraft, especially of the vengeful gods who are sealed away and the threat of them coming back is very serious. I got a chance to hear the second book (Playing With Fire) done by Audible, and I thought that they did a fantastic job with it. The narrator did an excellent job on the voices and I often forgot he was the only one speaking. Books in the series are: The Scepter of the Ancients, Playing With Fire, The Faceless Ones, and Dark Days. (Though Dark Days will not be out in the US for awhile - I got my copy mailed in from England.)
    Last edited by Iapetus; 06-12-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Has anyone mentioned "The Books of the Swords" by Saberhagen? If you like some mythology behind your novels you might want to check them out.
    Those are awesome. I first read those in high school, read 'em again not too long ago. There's also a prequel called Empire of the East, which is just as good, if not better.

Another good series is the 'Islander' series by John Maddox Roberts. Five books of post-apocalytpic fantasy/scifi goodness.

Theres been a lot of good books mentioned, I'll add in a few more that weren't mentioned. All Fantasy Based

-Age of the Five Trilogy by Trudi Canavan
    -The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan
    -Elvenbane Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey & Andre Norton Book about Elves and Dragons (with Human Slaves)
    -Warbreaker (first book of a trilogy I believe) by Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn and Elantris was already mentioned, GREAT books!) And Brandon in all 3 books, does an amazing job on his magic systems!
    -The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind (Lots of books, just finished the first one and started the second, good book so far)

Oh and the other book mentioned Amber series, first set of books I truly read
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

wasn't aware that warbreaker was out yet... read a teaser for it at the end of mistborn ... once again I'm lacking a function in Amazon to buzz me when my favorite authors put out something new
    this is a fantastic thread - so many new things to read ... and so many old books pop up in memory again... Amber Series and Sparhawk's adventures....
    and Jax, I had the same thought - it would be cool to have this organized... I'm thinking of slapping together a small database where you can input author, title and perhaps a small review incl. a rating - but I'm sure someone inhere would be more qualified to do this - and it would be fantastic if it could be integrated with the guild frontpage so "latest review" could be featured. I'm aware however that it is on the fringe of relevant information - but I believe most people in here would enjoy it as a place to find inspiration for nerds like us
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    this is a fantastic thread - so many new things to read ... and so many old books pop up in memory again... Amber Series and Sparhawk's adventures....
    and Jax, I had the same thought - it would be cool to have this organized... I'm thinking of slapping together a small database where you can input author, title and perhaps a small review incl. a rating - but I'm sure someone inhere would be more qualified to do this - and it would be fantastic if it could be integrated with the guild frontpage so "latest review" could be featured. I'm aware however that it is on the fringe of relevant information - but I believe most people in here would enjoy it as a place to find inspiration for nerds like us
    I for one wouldn't mind seeing something like that here...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast