Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Continuous WIP

Maybe just use www.imageshack.us?
    All works shown in my posts are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License (good thinking jfrazierjr)

Consider all my maps to be usable by anyone for the CWBP. Feel free to ask me for the .xcf or to ask me to change the orientation or scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    [Image issues] OK admins and power users... I try uploading the .jpg (at 3.4 megs, it's large, but well under the 4.7m cutoff) - the upload manager crunches away for a while, and then the pop-up screen goes blank white and doesn't proceed any further. This has happened across multiple attempts. Any idea what's wrong? Is there an alternate method that I should use?

I will edit this post once I get the image up.
    This this was already answered in another thread - there is an issue with the forum software thumbnailer and any image over about 30Mpx (i.e. actual size).

The only option right now is to host is at one of the free image hosting places, or at DA, or self host.

-Rob A>

Sorry about the double post - had called out my issue here first, and then later decided that it might be worth posting about it on a board where people in the know would see it...

As for the image - I've shrunk it down to about 50% resolution and higher jpg compression (don't know why I didn't do this in the first place, maybe I was just being stubborn - or obtuse)...

Again, a WIP, and there are several places left untouched, but you will hopefully get a sense of the Greek and Celtic flavors from the place names. I'm undecided as to whether I will eventually finish this or not - I really enjoy this one, but the game is faltering, and I have a lot of other projections (professional and cartography) to juggle.

As always, open to comments or criticisms.
    PD
    [Edit: I didn't take the "Imageshack" option because it wouldn't host my original file (too big), and I prefer to keep images on-site if possible (one of the many reasons we should all love the CG!)]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Illium Detail Labeled50.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	4975  
    Last edited by Pablo Diablo; 07-06-2008 at 03:44 PM.

Wow, i really like this latest map! Great work, PD! I would really like to have the high resolution file...is there no way to upload it here?

Anyway, i really hope you will keep this project alive...i want to see more of it
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Again, a WIP, and there are several places left untouched, but you will hopefully get a sense of the Greek and Celtic flavors from the place names. I'm undecided as to whether I will eventually finish this or not - I really enjoy this one, but the game is faltering, and I have a lot of other projections (professional and cartography) to juggle.
    Very nice Map.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Been busy this past week-plus, and unable to check CG... but I come back at least just this evening and find this beautiful map! Very nice.

Wow, this has come a long way since the original! I really dig the colors and the very organic feel of the land masses. That's very cool, too, the way you've done the labeling, particularly with the gold text -- some of the others are kind of hard to read, tho' The one thing I'm not real keen about is the bevel/emboss that style that leaves the land looking like plastic bubbles. Hm. Would 'plain' be ... too plain?

The colors of the ocean really caught my eye on the world map. Then looking closer the texture is amazing, very cool method. I understand the JPEG really messes with it. I know theres alot more detail that I'm not seeing.

As for the continental map, really good as well. The water keeps the nice texture abit while becoming alot more plain to fit the style. The mountains and forests look really good as well. I can't see the plastic in them, but if you feel there is, I know a good way to fix it. Just change the highlights of the bevel from white, to a slight light yellow, and the shadows from black to a dark dark blue. If its not a bevel effect then maybe theres some highlight layer you could colorize to have the yellow tint.

I have a question. Is the detail for the continental map of Ilium, the same detail as the world map only enlarged? Cause if it's just the world map enlarged... wow, thats massive. How can your computer handle that? 8

Blog Entries

Fabulous map. What I really like about this is the way that it feels big. Lots of country sized maps have trees, and mountains which look like a different scale than the land is supposed to be. This map makes it look like a full country size. I also like the font rendering too. That thin metallic feel is good - as though its embossed on top. Really nice stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast