Thread: Software for mapping on a globe

Question Software for mapping on a globe

Is there software that would allow me to map on a globe? That is, instead of drawing in 2D, I want to be able to draw on a sphere (or better yet, a sphere that's slightly distorted in the same way Earth is), so I don't have to worry about distortion.

If there's a way I could do this in Photoshop or something else, do tell. I don't necessarily need software that's specifically made fro mapmaking.

Guild Journeyer

I'd love the same thing, but i don't think it exists, at least not for a reasonable price. By "reasonable" i include anything costing up to as much as regular photoshop.

Ehhh... If you use the Flaming Pear filter Flexify, you can essentially rotate the globe around as you map. It's still 2-d, but if you keep your editing work toward the middle of the image as you work your way around, you can avoid most of the really nasty distortions that come of working in a projected space.

Other than that... You might be able to paint onto a globe in Blender. Good luck with that and if you have any success we'll need a tutorial . No, really.

Default Real globe or virtual globe?

Hi,

Do you want to create a real globe?

I've had a go at that before - E.g. here

You need to create a flat map first and then use software to cut it into gores - the thin strips that are stuck onto a spherical object - its quite a task but hugely satisfying!

If you want to create a virtual globe, there's a filter in GIMP that will give a nice image wrapped onto a globe. Alternatively use Blender 3D to map an image onto a globe in 3d space.

If you're looking to paint on a 3D object, I think this might be along those lines: http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush

I was more asking about painting on a 3D object, but I'd like any/all of the above. I've downloaded Blender, so I'll try that, along with the other things you guys suggested. Thanks, and we'll see how things go.