Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June Entry - Silent Running

Default June Entry - Silent Running

I couldn't make up my mind so here I am late to the contest but maybe this will help me to squeeze a little more time out of life so I can work on this. I also have to say after seeing all the entries that look so good, it's been a bit of a hill to climb up in order to feel like entering this month.

Going against the grain I have chosen a Sci-Fi movie. I took a ride in the way back machine called up a movie called "Silent Running". This movie effected me when i was a kid and deserves to be remembered. The ship "Valley Forge" was a spaceship harbouring Earth's last forests. These were enclosed in Domes. Here I have created one of the domes. I might get fired up and attempt the entire ship but with the limited time left I may have to leave my entry at a Dome. The Dome would be enough to satisfy the contest but I don't want to give anything away in case anyone decides to go watch the movie (even though it is really dated now).

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DomePod.png 
Views:	284 
Size:	841.9 KB 
ID:	25799  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 06-13-2010 at 03:20 AM. Reason: forgot the wip tag
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Good choice. Can't wait for more of the details to show up on this one. I was nine when this move came out and I remember it well.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

never seen it, but then again, when I grew up we only had 1 tv channel from denmark and 2 from sweden to watch - so not much choice there *lol'
    it seems a little blurry?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

It does seem a bit blurry to me as well. Now part of that is due to the fact that you are looking through a dome over the top but I have made some adjustments to the forest because I wasn't satisfied with them. Also, my wife was giving me no end of grief because there was no little lake like she saw in one of the scenes. So, for crying out loud, there is now a little lake as well. LOL

Also, if I end up doing the entire ship, which is my dream on this but may be more than I have time for before the contest ends, this dome will shrink down and be about 1/12 of the whole.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	DomePod2.png 
Views:	609 
Size:	989.1 KB 
ID:	25859  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Well, I'm sort of caught. I can either keep working on this dome and try to trick it out or I can move forward with the rest of the ship. I just know I'm going to get pinched on time if I do but as they say, "No guts, no glory!"

I am posting what shows the length of the ship and what I have so far. Maybe you guys can tell me if I should go for it or stick with the pod.

Here is the beginning of the the entire ship named, "Valley Forge".

The Pods are obvious. In the movie each ship had 6 pods as near as I can tell and they were made up of various types of habitat. The tail end I haven't touched yet. The center Square marks the main decks of the ship which will entail a lot of made up mapping because there really isn't any type of plan for this ship that I have found. Of course, this would leave me with freedom to interpret however I want. The Wide cylinder down the center proved transportation fore and aft by walking or driving a cart of sorts.

Name:	Valley Forge.png 
Views:	489 
Size:	839.0 KB 
ID:	25912  

Not much progress but at least I'm moving again.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Valley Forge2.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	933.3 KB 
ID:	26236  

Blog Entries

thats a damn strange lollipop you got there... ... without having seen the movie my comment will be that the center thing looks flat - needs some depth - but perhaps you just haven't gotten around to it yet?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Yeah, that's the part I just started on. I dropped the shapes down to indicate where the levels were. If I just draw the thing from the top it's not really much of a map so I figured I'd razor off the roof and do the layout. Hopefully it will come out looking right. I could just explode the deck levels and show them above and below but I am thinking to indicate the levels by color shade sort of like you did in your Dwarven City challenge map. Hopefully, it won't be too cluttered.

Blog Entries

sounds good - and thanks for remembering my rather unremarkable city
    regs tilt

Ok, I only have a couple days left so I'm going to attempt to push ahead and wrap this up. I'm not done and only part of the deck is completed. I still need to finish the tail but this should show the direction I'm trying to go for. Any bright ideas let me know

edit: thumb is busted - When I uploaded it the little picture showed as a "?" mark

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Valley Forge2.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	26313  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast