Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Port City of Amlathran

Default The Port City of Amlathran

My last city drove me to the brink of insanity, and now I'm back.

Here is the base plan for the small port city of Amlathran, one of the six free cities (say that really fast ten times) of the Cothiqua Islands. Since it's not in the Dal Lands like my last city was I can try some new building types that wouldn't be found in Dal cities. Hello rounded stone towers and goodbye to the aversion to the colour red, basically this city is going to have more of a European feel. To preserve my insanity the city is going to be smaller, but when have I ever kept anything small and simple? While smaller it will also be a little more lively and characterful as in there will more variance in the building shapes, a few more misc features and other signs of life like boats and other vessels. I'm also looking to achieve more of a tropical look to my city, just to make it more interesting and break from my other darker maps.

The basic plan has been drawn up and is quite simple. The purple is where the walls, towers and castle will be, the grey is the main roads and city square, the brown is the lower end wooden roof houses outside the city while that ugly peach colour is the higher end tiled roofed houses inside the city. More to come soon.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Port City of Amlathran WIP.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	25802  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You are a glutton for punishment
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well there must be something in it thats drawing me back.

Anyway, update! I've down the main roads, walls, towers and docks, going to go back and make the battlements on the towers neater. Everything is done to the scale of 2 pixels = 1 foot, so as an example those walls are 15 feet thick. As you can see, this place is going to be much smaller than my last one and I couldn't be more relieved, though I probably do something crazy that makes to change that
    More to come soon.

-D-

Name:	The Port City of Amlathran WIP.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	25865  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Apprentice Kaiser MacCleg's Avatar

I'll certainly be watching the development of this map with interest - your other city maps are very inspiring.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you just gotta go back there, don't you... love the bit about "preserving your insanity" *lol*
    hmm. I can only see the top 60 pixels or so of the second map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Please wait with your insanity until you have finished this map and the actual regional map

I've gotta stop scaring myself like that. Being the idiot that I am I accidently saved over my own work, fortunately I have simplified the process enough that only a half hours work and most of it was saved. I will still have to work on the coast to get it looking right again. Anyway, here's some progress, I've put down most of the houses inside the walls as well as putting down the road plans and warehouses.

More to come soon.

-D-

Name:	The Port City of Amlathran WP.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	4.59 MB 
ID:	25922  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Somehow, this map reminds me of something...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lol, I love it. I was trying to figure out what the coat of arms for the city should be, guess its a lion now.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

I hope you'll make one that's a bit better looking than mine :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast