Thread: Sunnan - My first world :)

Map Sunnan - My first world :)

Hi. These are the first maps I made in recent years, in order to depict my fantasy world of Sunnan. While by no means derivative( i hope) , the world was to some degree inpired by both Spira, the setting of Final Fantasy X, and the concept of 'Lost Continents' such as Mu and Atlantis.

Sunnan consists of the main continent and twenty-seven major islands. While it features a diversity of climates, the southernmost half of Sunnan consists mostly of tropical and temperate climates, the northern half including mountains, tundra, and deserts. I should mention that the climate of the desert region is not natural, and that some disaster in the history caused the desertification of the region.

Sunnan was originally designed as a setting for a non-existent computer role playing game, but eventually grew into it's own stand-alone universe with lore that goes beyond a game.
    These maps were made with graphite and Photoshop 7 I should note that the 'old paper' texture was taken, and not my own. The script on the old style map is in an (very incomplete) constructed language I made for this world. However at the time of making the map, most of the region names were placeholders, making this script out of date. I planned on replacing the text with the actual names once I thought of names for all the regions, which there are a couple that are still placeholders. I am still working on the world to this day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clouds.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	25855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldmap.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	485.7 KB 
ID:	25854  

Nice coloring on both maps (although I suppose that the one on the left is more a photograph than map without any reader-useful metadata like locations or roads). The rivers need a little work. There's a river layout thread kicking around here. First rule of rivers: water flows downhill.

Thank you for the comment. Yeah I don't think the first one counts as a map, but it is cool to see the 'natural appearance' of landmasses and the like. And yes, the rivers make little sense ; they connect to each other in places where they shouldn't connect.
    Also, I see you live in the HD as well! I'm from Apple Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Nice coloring on both maps (although I suppose that the one on the left is more a photograph than map without any reader-useful metadata like locations or roads). The rivers need a little work. There's a river layout thread kicking around here. First rule of rivers: water flows downhill.
    Ah... but rivers do whatever is necessary in a JRPG to serve the plotline.

To Shinobiden... Nice looking maps! Have some newbie rep!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking really good - have some rep for your first uploads - even though the rivers are wrong *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for the comments I'm glad you like them despite the mistakes.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

River mistakes are common for the budding cartographer
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Rivers are fix'd, I hope

Also, I updated the text, even though no one can read it without a cypher.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldmap.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	499.8 KB 
ID:	26997  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Yep, those rivers look much better now. I love the style!