Thread: WIP Small Area Map Trading Post

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

Map WIP Small Area Map Trading Post

Small area map that I am using for a D&D campaign. The outpost is the focal point with everything else surrounding it. Trying a different approach with a static place instead of random locations.

Comments welcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trading Post-ar.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	972.2 KB 
ID:	25871

Assuming that the Trading Post will basically be the main buy & sell location for the area, the southern farms would have trails leading toward it (rather than to a common southern road, it would be a common northern road).

Otherwise, the font is a pest to read. Choose something less "stylised handwriting" or print it larger. Either way is a bother to try read even when zoomed in.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Guild Journeyer

The font is a bit small in places. The trading post is old and the village is new the farms are for the village and the trading post is for the trappers. That is why there is no road directly connecting them. I like the font but maybe a different color and large size would work.

Okay,
    So since the trading post is for trappers, seriously in an area this small unless the trapping industry is huge (selling MANY pelts for HIGH prices) that trading post is going to be turning itself into a general store to cater for the farmers as well. You'd be a maniac to be the only obvious store in a village and not sell some staple spices (salt, pepper at least), foreign staple goods (flour, rice, barley, oats or other grains not locally grown), animal meat (from the trappers) and general equipment (hammers, nails, saws, shovels, hoes, horse tackle, clothing, boots, gloves, knives, plates, metal cups, etc). From an economics point of view you should really consider that trading post as a the local general store. If it is the only store, it will also probably be the point where any coaches/stages travel past and will likely be on the busiest road in the village. If it is NOT the only store, then your map should include a general store and potentially have a few rooms for rent attached to the store.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

I really like the idea of 'Maniacal shopkeepers', it would make for an awesome psychotic role playing moment when the PC's walk in expecting regular goods only to have the guys in the shop go ape nuts about how the only thing one needs in life is a Beaver pelt. ROFL!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt