Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Harbour Capital

Wip A Harbour Capital

This is it.
    I have been absent for a while fumbling and puzzling and this is what came out of it. You may have noticed that this is Oreas, the capital of a country called Aurelis, the map of which can be found here. Once again I did this in Photoshop as I was told CC3 wasn't necessary to create pretty cities, so I gave it a try.

I don't consider it done yet, but finished enough to show anyone I'd like to transform the map into a second, less colourful one that can be tagged. But before I can do that, I have to make sure the basic map is complete- no houses missing, no ugly city shapes, enough market places etc. So please, city building experts, help me

Some basic explanations:

- Oreas consists of seven quarters, namely Old Town, Temple Ridge, Haven, The Alleys, Norwalk, Neotown, and The Garners.
    - The fortified islands are an academy (left) and a prison (right).
    - The square-shaped part on the left side of Oreas is a system of canals and artificial islands where rich people live.
    - The big blue thing in the middle of Temple Ridge is a castle complex called The White Palace.
    - The green space above the islands is a park.
    - Take a close look at the woody ridge north of Norwalk, there's a ruin.

If anything else is unclear or doesn't make sense to you, just ask me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city_of_oreas.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	25903  
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

Very cool! I like the canals approach you made. I am quite surprised to see the colosseum outside the city walls though. Can't wait to see what else you add.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks really good - lots of houses you've placed there ... can't really find any errors, but I wonder about the bright blue color for some of the houses - it stands out a lot
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

That looks like it took forever to make all those houses. I really like the map.

You did say you are not yet done so these may be on your list however, I noticed that the Walls do not completely encircle what I judged to be the main castle complex (The darker blue building) which seems peculiar. The rivers seem to be an obvious way to enter the city as well because there looks to be no wall/gratings that cover them.

Very cool map though, I spent time cruising all over but I have to go to work so can't do anymore.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

The colosseum is outside the walls because it was built when the rest of the city had already been cramped with houses. Give it another 200 years and it'll be in the centre of the city

I wanted the bright blue houses to stand out, making them seem as if they had expensive roofs, and therefore rich owners. But I could tone it down if you think it is too much.

@ Jaxilon: You're right about the rivers, i forgot to paint the walls over them. But which walls around the castle are you talking about? The city walls or the palace wall?
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

Ah, I was looking at the City walls. There is a gap in them to the North and a bit East of the Castle. I did overlook the Palace walls because they were much smaller than the city's.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

That gap is intended. It's a part of the wall that wasn't rebuilt after a siege due to financial reasons. So the city just grew along this opening. They'll sure be having trouble when someone attacks the city

I like your layout and the amount of detail. I think this is great for a zoomed out overview of a city. Some nice places of interest to inspire adventure and intrigue.

Should there be more roads out to the fields? Might make sense.

I am really not a fan of the bevel/emboss style buildings, were they relatively quick to make? I suppose that many hand placed building symbols would have been a major pain in the neck.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you don't have to change it
    I got that they were supposed to be different - and also that they probably were "richer" I just wondered about the blue since that is a "funny" color for a roof.

@Aval - the bevel technique is almost just a click on a button. You still have to draw/place all the squares though - but that can be done with a brush (see the lazy city technique by... hmmm... Ascension (I think))
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast