Thread: Create a simple continental map with borders

Default Create a simple continental map with borders

I'm looking for some software where I will be able to create an image similar to this.

I want to create a map of Eastern Europe for a war game where each country will be divided into sections like the map above or maybe impose a hex grid onto. It will also include rivers, cities and a few icons etc. I’d like the map to be roughly 1m x 1.5m, so pretty large.

I already have Photoshop 7.0 (I’ve never used it before it seems daunting) and your standard Paint that comes with windows if those would be of any use?

Any advice at all as I’ve never created a map before would be great!

Cheers.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Learning to use expensive software is very intimidating but once you get the hang of it it's much like playing pc solitaire. That being said I still haven't tried certain things myself (blush). Since you have PS7 I'd recommend that. I'd also recommend going through some tutorials to get your feet wet. All you need is the landmass on its own layer and to just chop it up into sections, then color them in.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

here's a quick sample .psd with a preview jpg. I'm not sure if it is PS7 compatible though.. see if you can open it and dissect the method
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sample.psd   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	26306  
    Last edited by a2area; 06-26-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

good idea a2area ... and I agree with the statements above.. if you got PS use that.. doesn't get much better than that
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise