Thread: My Continent of Calanthas "Old School"

Wip My Continent of Calanthas "Old School"

Here is my first posting of a map I am doing in GIMP. This has been so much fun. It takes me back to many a misspent study hall periods I welcome comments, thoughts, gentle criticism, or whatever else anyone has to say about my work to this point.

On a side note, when I introduced myself, I said that I wanted to work in GIMP because I wanted to port all my maps and writings to open source, and hopefully be able to work in Linux. This map was drawn in GIMP on a PC that was discarded. I salvaged it, did some work on it, and installed Linux Mint 8 (KDE version). No Window$, no dual-boot. All Linux, all the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	North on Notebook Paper.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	25948  
    Sláinte

"'Round the world and back again, that's the sailor's way!"
    Willie Wonka
    Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

http://warforsouthernindependence.blogspot.com/
    My blog exploring some unpopular truths about the war that defines our nation.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Oh man, I saw the notebook paper overlay and immediately thought of doodling maps in class in junior high. Two thumbs up just for that, not to mention that the map itself looks pretty good so far; I like the landmass layout you have there.

Wip

Here it is with the rivers and lakes, and with the background colors for major terrain features blocked in. In case anyone is interested, with the colors I am going for a colored pencil feel, and some of the colors do go outside the lines.

Thanks for the kind words Diamond, I'm glad I wasn't the only one hit by that paper like that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Backgrounds.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	25957  
    Sláinte

"'Round the world and back again, that's the sailor's way!"
    Willie Wonka
    Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

http://warforsouthernindependence.blogspot.com/
    My blog exploring some unpopular truths about the war that defines our nation.

Guild Journeyer

Interesting approach to say the least...it really reminds me of my first hand-drawn maps...I'd like to see this finished.