Thread: Um.... Hi.

Default Um.... Hi.

In all honesty, I'm not an enthusiast of cartographing. I'm mainly trying to write a story I have hopes of turning into a book and in my search for a blank polyconic projection map, I found this forum. Since the .jpg I found here wasn't exactly what I was looking for, I thought I'd say hi and ask if anyone could direct me to someplace where there is a blank map similar to the one seen here: http://www.quadibloc.com/maps/mpol05.htm

Trying to go three dimensional with this map so that I can better think out and plot out oceanic currents and other factors that would affect the landscape which plays a major role in the story I'm writing. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

The Generic Mapping Tools ( http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/ ) should be able to do what you want if you're wiling to put in a little time. Fractal Terrains from ProFantasy has a similar-looking interrupted projection image on its page ( http://www.profantasy.com/products/ft.asp ).

When you say "Blank Map", what do you mean? Just coastlines, terrain, something else?

Is your interest in an interrupted projection or specifically in the polyconic projection?

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    When you say "Blank Map", what do you mean? Just coastlines, terrain, something else?
    What I meant was just the latitude and longitude lines. Something that I could print out in multiples and sketch some rough draft continent lines on so that I can see which I like better and then go into more detail as I figure out what I want where. In honesty, if I can find a template of the map type in the link I posted, then it'd be much easier for me because I'd then be able to cut it out, tape it into a spherical shape and see it in a three-dimensional setting as opposed to just two dimensional.

I know that looking for a template of it sounds sort of lazy, but I'm completely new to anything related to map making, I don't have the time needed to research it in detail, and as a writer my focus isn't so much on the map as much as on the story that'll be taking place in the world I'm trying to make a map of.

Anyways. Looking at the links you gave me, I think what I'm looking for is a 6-way sinusoidal projection template. I honestly hope that I'm clear enough about what I'm looking for. It's hard enough to look up half of this since I don't know most -if any- of the terminology used in cartography.

EDIT: Ya, I think I finally found a way to get what I'm looking for. Thanks for trying to help me waldronate.
    Last edited by Sabourok; 06-17-2010 at 11:34 PM.

If you just want the grid image, I (using the Fractal Terrains demo) can make them in any size or projection you want.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave