Thread: Epic World - My First Commission

Map Epic World - My First Commission

I made this map for Epic World - Cinematic Landscapes, a sampling album by composer Eduardo Tarilonte. The map will be used as a background on the album cover. It was my first (and only, so far) commission.

If you take a close look at some of the names, you'll probably recognize quite a few. I didn't get lazy with naming things, they're actually relevant to the product and intentional. The rest of the names were mostly generated with the excellent Everchanging Book of Names.

The landmasses were made with CC3, which is my usual software of choice. The rest was done in PhotoShop because I decided I wanted to do some experimenting. I also got the sea monsters from CC3 symbols, but re-drew them with my new tablet in PhotoShop (that was part of the experiment - never used a tablet before).

The map was greatly inspired by Bohunk's Ystraad and uses Wag's tree and mountain brushes. To thank everyone for all the inspiration and education that contributed to the map, a portion of the commission was donated to the Guild.

Unlike most of my maps, which are free to use for commercial or personal use, please only use this one for non-commercial purposes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epicworld.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	558.1 KB 
ID:	25999  
    Last edited by loongtim; 06-19-2010 at 07:54 AM.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Pretty nice work there, looks good. Seems like everyone is getting good nowadays.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looks great! Engraver fonts are my favorite on old style maps.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks really good, but when you post - click on go advanced and attach image insted of using it inline - then a thumb will be generated and the image won't break the borders of the box ... have some rep
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for the compliments.

And thanks for the tip on inserting the image tilt - I was trying to figure out how to do that. I changed it to an attachment, though it doesn't appear to display a thumbnail, just a link to the file.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah.. .the thumbnail generator has been making problems since the migration to the new server host - the CL's are working on it
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise