Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...make a simple square grid?

Default ...make a simple square grid?

I'm trying to layout a 1x1 inch grid on a rather large map. I have had success using the define pattern technique before on smaller maps, but for some reason when I add the new fill layer for this pattern the 1x1 squares turn into a sort of plaid with rectangles and different size squares. I'm sure this is a ridiculously simple fix, but my efforts to search the interwebs have failed me.

Thanks in advance.
    G

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Check the mapping elements forum, I beleive someone posted some grid patterns.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks, I'll look there. Is there any reason that it would work perfectly sometimes and then not others? G

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Depends on the size of the pattern. If you're using something like a 10 x 10 pattern then when you scale it up for a larger spacing then you get little gray parts. The fix for that is to make your own pattern. Make a new document that is 1 inch by 1 inch, create a new layer, use a pencil of size 1 to 3 and draw a line down one side and across the bottom. Hide the background then Edit- Define Pattern (in photoshop)
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I tried that too. First I tried creating a pattern based on a 1" x 1" new document (300dpi). Ctrl-A to select all then stroke with a 2 pixel inside stroke. Use that as the "define pattern" and it turns out poor. So I looked on the net to find tutorials on here, youtube, and the internet in general and found the "L" type grid to define the pattern (the 1-3 pixles down the side and across the bottom). Still no result worth keeping.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that's run into this problem.

Thanks for the help, G

Guild Journeyer

Could you post your pattern, and a small snippet of how it looks on your map?

Default Great Idea

Here's the two items. The file I used to make the pattern is a 1x1 inch with a stroked border. The image labeled plaid is the outcome when I try to fill a layer with the pattern. Something is fishy. When I try it on just a 10 inch x 10 inch canvas it turns out fine.

Thanks again for the help.

cheers,
    G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1x1Grid Pattern.png 
Views:	2856 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	26014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plaid.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	310.7 KB 
ID:	26015  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It looks plaid only when zoomed out, as in the thumbnail. At 100% (full size) it looks fine.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

As Ascension says, there's no problem with your file.

At any magnification smaller than 100%, what you see on screen is an approximation of your file, because there there aren't enough pixels on your screen for every pixel in your file.

If this effect bothers you zoom in, and/or make the lines of your grid-pattern thicker.

I thought it was something stupid.. the stoopid me. The noob has left the building. Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast