Thread: ...learn the basics of Inkscape?

Help ...learn the basics of Inkscape?

Okay,
    I kind of get how Vector Programs work (sorta kinda... I played with AutoREALM for a reasonable while and did some medium to large scale maps with that...) but...

HELP! Inkscape is confuzzling me!!!! *feels bewildered*

Could the relevant Inkscape Gods (Sapiento? GP?) please crack out some seriously low-level intro tutorial type stuff or post some links to basic "this is the mouse, you move it and click on things"-level tutorials???

The learning curve for starting with this thing makes going from drawing stuff in Word to GIMP feel like falling off a log.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

unfortunatly I use Illustrator - but I'll agree with you that when you start out with vector it takes some getting used to
    but look here:
    http://www.inkscape.org/doc/basic/tutorial-basic.html
    http://inkscapetutorials.wordpress.com/
    there is something to get you started
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

The vast majority of vector or vector/raster hybrid maps I've seen here here have been done in something other than inkscape....I am sure there was a link to an inkscape tutorial by a mapper who used to frequent the CG....can't find it. I think RobA's done one for old school mapping.

This is quite a good basic tutorial for mapping though: http://fountainware.com/compass/Cart...peCaveMaps.htm

I'm begining to do all of my city maps in vector now. You can publish them as .pdfs which read vector so you can zoom in without any pixellation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I'm begining to do all of my city maps in vector now.
    I'm making my first digital city map at the moment, started out in Illustrator, so I'm curious as to what you do about texturing - roofs, roads etc etc - do you make that in vector or do you add bitmapped textures?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Texturing is where for me vector really falls down compared to raster so everything is in flat colours - with some symbols dotted around the place. I guess one could do individual roof-tiles etc but with the number of buildings involved it would just kill your computer. Getting it looking pleasing without using raster textures is a bit of a challenge. The problem with the software I'm using (Drawplus) is that the moment you put a bitmap fill onto a shape, it turns the entire shape into a raster image and then you lose the 'zoomability' advantage. I'm going for that sort of 18th Century grayscale engraving style where the colours are pretty flat anyway. I'd love to hear how you're coping with texture issue.

So you can't import a bitmap texture and use as a vector fill in Inkscape? If you can that's the solution - but then only if you're using a high resolution texture in the first place (either 300 ppi or of large scale to work properly.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    So you can't import a bitmap texture and use as a vector fill in Inkscape? If you can that's the solution - but then only if you're using a high resolution texture in the first place (either 300 ppi or of large scale to work properly.

GP
    Yes, bitmap fills can be used in Inkscape, either as embedded images or as linked images. Of course, if linked, you need to be careful when moving files

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I'd love to hear how you're coping with texture issue.
    I was planning to texture and add shadows and stuff in photoshop afterwards, can't even make a decent bevel in illustrator
    regs tilt