Thread: Greetings from the french side of Canada.

Default Greetings from the french side of Canada.

Hi everyone!

My name is Geneviève (Gen for short , and feel free to butcher my name as you say it) or Ashtoreth on most forums and what not. I'm from Montreal, Québec, Canada. I joined here because I got tired of trying to make maps and failing at it, so I decided to join this and learn how. I'm a former video game designer (for real, like I got paid to make games and stuff) who finally got tired of the insanity of the industry, now I make a living with something much cooler, I save animals (literaly). I work as a EMT for pets, and in a vet clinic. but between all the work, and school and what not, I am making a game which starts as a tabletop dark fantasy game for my friends, but I also use the world for a personal project of mine to make a kickass games on PC (for fun) So thats makes me a total dork, in an ambulance uniform!

But yes, seriously... I'm usualy not that crazy, just got back from an allnighter from hell and I wanted to make the post before I went to bed

Blog Entries

Cool, I love Montreal and I think id live there if it weren't so cold in winter. Theres loads of games and graphics companies in that part of the world. I think I can guess which one you might have been in. There's a members map in my sig which shows that we have a fair few from your region too. So you a programmer more than the art side of the games then ?

Welcome to the guild. Post some works in progress and look over the tutorials and remember that the only stupid question is the one not asked.

I used to work as a QA for Gameloft, Ubisoft, then went in a smaller business that makes games for Airplanes, the place was fun, but really, gaming wasn't that much fun anymore as a job
    I was mostly in the paperwork side, but i'm more comfortable with the graphic side of things than the programming. I used to draw a lot...

Montreal isn't that cold anymore really, we barely had -30 this winter ! !

Blog Entries

I thought it might have been EA. I have or had some friends in games industry and they paint a shadowy picture of the reality of it especially at the crunch times. I have programmed graphics drivers for a couple of video cards and done some other weird things for companies which get inside the graphics engines. I would say that it was interesting work but nothing like what people might think its like. It was pretty unsexy for most of it. I am sure the QA side of things would have been more fun.

Oh and -30... now this is where you and me might have a difference of opinion about the word cold... LOL. I do really like the underground malls, compact nature of Montreal and the french style with that open Canadian attitude to go with it. I went on an open ended tour kinda holiday and I had to drag myself out of your city to continue on with it. But -30... thats um - severe.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Gen, welcome to the guild.
    -30 hmmm thats -34 Celcius, so you have to work with your mittens on
    Well, about mapping - I'd start by looking in the tutorials section, see if theres something you like - and when you're ready, post in the WIP threads for help and critique
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Welcome to the Guild!

Actually Tilt, for us in Canada, we use Celcius, so the -30 is....-30
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ah.. a civilized country *lol* ... still pretty cold ... our record in Denmark is -31,2 that was in 82 - but normally we get between -5 and -10 (without chill factor - which is often high)
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

i'm lucky enough to enjoy cold weather, ski and snowboard and all, beside my dog -hates- it when its too warm (Siberian huskies, they love the snow)

but yes I already started lurking in the tutorials, gave me some neat ideas for the continant map and whatnot, i'm still having a hard time with my city though heh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the guild!