Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Scale Map Printing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Large Scale Map Printing

I created a small map for my campaign and decided it was time to make a larger one (3' x 3' or thereabouts) and have it printed. Before I started I thought it would be a good idea to look into printing to find out what it would cost and what limitations (if any) the printers may have. Being in a small town with few options, I stopped by kinkos. Their best price was $7.25 per square foot plus $3.00 per square foot if I wanted to have it laminated. For 3' x 3' that comes to $65.25 ($92.25 laminated). He couldn't tell me what weight paper it was other than it was "heavier weight" but not card stock.

Never having done this before I had in my head that it would be around $20 for 3' x 3' glossy card stock. Apparently, I wasn't even close. But $65 for plain paper seems a bit high. What do you folks think?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Check w/Gamerprinter to see what he charges.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Ghoraja Juun, my largely stagnated campaign setting.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hey Oldguy!

Except you have to add $10 for shipping (rolled in a tube), I charge $2.99 a square foot printed onto satin gloss 190 gram photo paper, so a 3' x 3' map would cost $26.97. Lamination is $6.75 more for 3' x 3' using 5 mil lamination. I have shipped throughout US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Europe and Asia/Australia. Though overseas shipping is USPS is $16+ and takes at least 15 days, doing it faster costs way too much ($100). Also map prints are pretty light weight, so cost of shipping is more size of tube not weight. A single tube can hold many unlaminated maps or three laminated ones for same shipping cost.

GP
    Gamer Printshop - We print RPG Maps for Game Masters!
    http://www.gamer-printshop.com

Kaidan setting of Japanese Horror (PFRPG) Google+ community

Wow, that's pretty amazing!

I actually wanted two copies anyway so that makes shipping (per copy) even cheaper. Plus I get to go through a CG member which makes it even better.

I will definitely go through you when I get the map ready to print.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Hey Oldguy!

Except you have to add $10 for shipping (rolled in a tube), I charge $2.99 a square foot printed onto satin gloss 190 gram photo paper, so a 3' x 3' map would cost $26.97. Lamination is $6.75 more for 3' x 3' using 5 mil lamination. I have shipped throughout US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Europe and Asia/Australia. Though overseas shipping is USPS is $16+ and takes at least 15 days, doing it faster costs way too much ($100). Also map prints are pretty light weight, so cost of shipping is more size of tube not weight. A single tube can hold many unlaminated maps or three laminated ones for same shipping cost.

GP
    Gamerprinter,

Can you print on fabric? Is this possible? I own and run a LARP in Savannah, Georgia and would love to give them a version of our map that is somewhat more period.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor
    Facebook Connected
    Blog Entries

Gamerprinter is the man!
    by the way GP, what resolution does the printer print in? - I usually work in 300 dpi A4 or A3 so it would be nice to know how big a map that would make in your photoprinter - you don't have to calculate for me, the dpi number is enough
    regs tilt
    :: My art on Deviant Art :: My work Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: WIP Breakwater - Gungnerhafn -Battle City :: Competion maps - A Ghastly Rest ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

That printer is set at a minimum of 600 dpi, but printers lesser dpi fine, though I can set it for high resolution mode and print 2880 x 2880 dpi. It prints in 12 colors CMYKRGB, Photo Magenta, Photo Cyan, Gray and Photo Gray - using whatever colors the file requires. Its a Canon printer IPF 8100. Though I don't carry the whole inventor of papers, I can get pretty heavy glossy stock, and up to 42 inch wide prints, but I generally carry only 36 inch wide materlal. I carry canvas and fine art paper as well.

GP
    Gamer Printshop - We print RPG Maps for Game Masters!
    http://www.gamer-printshop.com

Kaidan setting of Japanese Horror (PFRPG) Google+ community

Community Leader Guild Sponsor
    Facebook Connected
    Blog Entries

I remember when the printers/plotters worked with 72 dpi, so you could make a poster from a simple A4 quality... If I should make a poster in 300 dpi, its gonna be a heavy file when I work in PS
    regs tilt
    :: My art on Deviant Art :: My work Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: WIP Breakwater - Gungnerhafn -Battle City :: Competion maps - A Ghastly Rest ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    I remember when the printers/plotters worked with 72 dpi, so you could make a poster from a simple A4 quality... If I should make a poster in 300 dpi, its gonna be a heavy file when I work in PS
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
    I was torn between using PS and CC3 to create my large scale map but was leaning towards PS. Next I determined that a 36" x 36", 300 dpi drawing is 10,800 x 10,800 pixels. I have a pretty decent notebook with lots of memory and a kick ass video card. Still, PS was huffing and puffing enough for me to see that wasn't the way to go. (largely in part to it being v7 I'm sure).

I used my old map as a background in CC3 so I could trace polygons over the png image and get the main features copied over. Got a good start already and no more fighting huge file sizes. The resolution-independence is a nice bonus.
    I work in Photoshop and have the same problems with my 30' x 40' 300dpi map and so to get around that, I cut up my development into numerous different layers - one for labels, one for landform shape, another for texture, color, borders, etc. In total, I think I have around ten separate Photoshop files that I work from to create the final map.
    Hexingtide: A dieselpunk-fantasy setting for gaming and fiction. Two world map posters in progress here.

@Hexingtide

Remember to figure in expected viewing distance. If the viewer is at greater than arm's length, you can get away with less than 300 dpi. I had GP do a poster print for me at somewhere around 150 dpi, and the print turned out great.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name