Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer of the Scots game map

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Default Hammer of the Scots game map

Hi all:

Just thought I would share a map I made up last year, for a contest run by a game company called "Columbia Games". They were planning on re-printing a war game of there's called "Hammer of the Scots" and put out a call to see if anyone could design a better map. Winner gets a free game. So I thought I would enter. This was just a few months after I got Photoshop CS4 and really started to play around with it, so the first map I came up with was a bit less than I had hoped it would be. But I like the final result.

I"ll start out by showing you what the original game map looked like (set up with the wooden block units). Its....OK-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic447899_md.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	26025  

One of the things I felt was needed was more detailed game info on the map. I also wanted to go for a kind of cloth look. This is the map I came up with after a couple days and submitted to the contest. The tracks on the right hand side is were you put your blocks when they are not in use.

Name:	pic574331.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	468.9 KB 
ID:	26026  

But after a while, I didnt like the map I made up. So I decided to go back to the drawing board and make up a new one. This was after several months of working with photoshop CS4 and I felt I could now do better. I wanted something that was simpler, with more of a old old paper map look. This was my first attempt.

Name:	pic575809.jpg 
Views:	804 
Size:	836.7 KB 
ID:	26027  

I felt this was looking much better! But it still needed some changes. I found out how to add curls to map edges and wanted to add that in, and I made some spelling corrections and a few other minor changes.

Name:	pic576479_lg.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	252.3 KB 
ID:	26029  
    Last edited by timallen; 06-20-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Finally, I wanted to add a background and darken up the whole thing, to give it a more moody appearance. I also decided to add in the crown- after all, that's what it was all about- who would be King of Scotland! (The game is about the Scottish wars of independence made popular by the movie Bravehart). This is my final result. I printed it out and it looks pretty good with the game pieces on it.

My original map did not win the contest, and now I think that is quite right as I no longer like it either. This one is much more what I was wanting to create. Too bad it was too late for the contest.

Name:	hammermaptest_redo11.jpg 
Views:	829 
Size:	952.4 KB 
ID:	26030  

Dude, that's sweet looking. I can totally see that as a board for a commercial game. I wonder what the winning map looks like compared to this beauty?

I like that you are able to show the progression of the work. It shows others what they can imagine getting to as they begin learning a program and feel frustrated by not being able to create what they see in their mind. (like I felt)
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks. Here is the map that won...remember I had sent in the first map I made, not the last one. This one is very nice too. Definitely better than my first attempt. I personally like the last one I made up better, but I suppose that's understandable! Its a different look than mine. Lighter. More....Illustrator-like; which is not a bad thing.

Name:	3161-hammer-map-800.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	354.2 KB 
ID:	26037  

Yeah that last one of yours would have made it a contest for sure. It probably would have come down to which coloring they liked better. Ah, well, maybe next time eh? I think your's wins just for having the Stewart plaid as background, LOL
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

those are nice looking maps ...all of them! .. have some rep with my HAMMER of nice repping +4
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Are you maps available for download? I have the original Hammer of the Scotts and would love to use your design. Off topic, but your War at Sea map is also impressive. I huge improvement over the original.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast