Thread: How do I format a map for maptools/vtt?

Default How do I format a map for maptools/vtt?

I will soon be putting my first map-pack up up for sale, and I want to include a version formatted for maptools/vtt programs. I could really use a veteran's advice as to how to format a map for maptools. I understand I should leave off anything that is likely to be moved/picked up by players (and include these as separate PNGs). I also understand I should have the base map saved at 100ppi (or sometimes 50?).

Should I just include all the elements separately (easy), or should I include a .cmpgn file with everything laid out in it, including setting up vision blocking? (if so, I could use a link to a vision blocking tutorial). I am currently doing above-ground buildings. Should I include a roof tile to place over everything?

I am sure I have more questions I haven't even thought of yet, but I'd welcome help/links regarding these things to start.

Some MapTool users want 200 ppi to zoom in for detail, but I generally stick with 100 ppi files as most easily used, not too big of files and shows decent detail enough.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Some MapTool users want 200 ppi to zoom in for detail, but I generally stick with 100 ppi files as most easily used, not too big of files and shows decent detail enough.

GP
    Excellent, one question ticked off the list! Thanks Gameprinter. Anyone else have answers to the other questions?

Just found out that there is a "beta" way to export/import a map out of and into a .cmpgn file--perhaps this is the best option? I don't know if anyone else has any experience with this, but to make stuff as convenient as possible for others, how do you package your maps?

If I were you I would go over to Maptools and download one of Torstan's free sets. It should give you an idea of what you want to think about. If I remember rightly there is also a free set from Devin Night. Then from there you may have more or less questions

I don't know anything about .cmpgn files though so I'm in the same boat as you on that one. I need to find out as well I guess.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt