Thread: Using OpenOffice.org Draw To Create Gaming Maps

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tutorial Using OpenOffice.org Draw To Create Gaming Maps

Introduction

I have been planning to introduce my children to the world of desktop gaming for some time now. I want to create my own stories and maps myself so I have been investigating what software will work best for my needs. After trying GIMP, I concluded that I don't have the drawing skills to make that work. Additionally, I want something that will make mapping faster. The software needed to be free and available for any platform.

I finally took a close look at OpenOffice.org Draw, and after several hours of investigation I believe I have finally learned enough about Draw to make the maps I want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.png 
Views:	4472 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	26062
    OpenOffice.org Draw on Linux

Reasons To Chose OpenOffice.org Draw

Cost – its free and can be downloaded from OpenOffice.org.
    Platform – OpenOffice.org is available for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
    Shapes – uses shapes to draw images so the need for drawing talent is minimal.
    Galleries – offers a “gallery” feature that allows you to group and store shapes for quick reuse later.
    Transparency – supports variable transparency on shapes and pictures inserted into a drawing.

How To Use OpenOffice.org Draw

Setup The Options

The first thing I needed to do was set the software options. This is done by going to Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org Draw > Grid. First, I turned on the “Snap to grid” and “Visible grid”. Second, I changed the grid resolution to for both horizontal and vertical to “0.10” of an inch. Third, I changed the “Snap” so it would snap “To the page margins” and “To object points”. I turned off snap “To object frame”.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image2.png 
Views:	2545 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	26065
    Option Dialog
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image4.png 
Views:	538 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	26064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image3.png 
Views:	726 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	26061  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by UbuntuFan; 06-22-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Improving tutorial