Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kia Ora from Aotearoa, New Zealand

Default Kia Ora from Aotearoa, New Zealand

Real name is Stephen though most folk just call me Wizard. English born, New Zealand raised. Travelling early in life created a deep passion for getting lost in maps! Being born in the Year of the Fire Monkey means I'm also a compulsive fantasy addict. It's just bizarre that it's taken me so long to find this forum!
    I'm currently creating a wide-ranging fantasy epic story as a frame work for the CG art I do. If you're interested you can see my artwork on my wegsite at www.wizitch.com I have reached a stage where I need a decent map of my fantasy world of Inthandonia and - as I'm a massive fan of The GIMP I'm partway through that creation process.
    I'm hoping to borrow on the inspiration and knowledge of my fellow members here and am happy to share any knowledge I have gathered.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi there steven, welcome to the guild - nice artwork you've got there... swing by the tutorials if you want tips and when you're ready post your maps in a WIP thread for comments and help
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hey Cuz. I was born in the year of the bush-pig which makes us mortal enemies, but I'm willing to overlook that if you are. Welcome!!!!
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Quote Originally Posted by Aval Penworth View Post
    Hey Cuz. I was born in the year of the bush-pig which makes us mortal enemies, but I'm willing to overlook that if you are. Welcome!!!!
    LOL - You were born in Australia which makes us mortal enemies!! Fortunately for us I spend most of my time in a fantasy world and don't pay much attention to traditional real world rivalries so I'm most willing to overlook that - besides we're both on the same hemisphere! Thanks for the welcome mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by tilt
    nice artwork you've got there
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! I've been checking out the tutorials today and I'll certainly be looking for feedback on my WIPs as I figure I'm probably gonna need a few maps.
    Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Hey Wzrd, good to see ya here and I like those 3D pics. I use a variety of tools but mostly an old version of light wave. Its so old id like to use something better like Blender but that UI has me beat. Ravs uses another odd one and loads more use sketchup too. But I don't think anyone so far has posted that they use Truespace - so id be real keen to hear all about that for doing anything inc maps and terrain.

Also, tho I am sure we have had NZ people from here in the past I cant think of anyone in particular. In my sig is a members map - maybe you would like to stick a pin in NZ and wave the flag.

Welcome - I am sure you will have lots of good things to contribute.

@ wzrd Seriously though, I love NZ. I visit all the time. Christchurch & Queenstown mostly. When I was a kid I had family there. Now I just go because it is such a cool place to visit, have adventures and enjoy the occasional Speights.
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 06-22-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Welcome to the guild!

Quote Originally Posted by Aval Penworth View Post
    @ wzrd Seriously though, I love NZ. I visit all the time. Christchurch & Queenstown mostly. When I was a kid I had family there. Now I just go because it is such a cool place to visit, have adventures and enjoy the occasional Speights.
    Speights? Hey well we clearly speak the same language then! I live in Christchurch myself so perhaps we could catch-up for a cold one sometime?

@Redrobes - thanks for the welcome and the kind words about my art - I'm guessing from the number of posts you've made here that you are one of the old boys of the forum? Re Lightwave - I have 9.5 on my machine but rarely use it. trueSpace is an odd and quirky program but it's 3d modelling interface is hard to beat once you get through the original learning curve. It's realtime rendering abilities are outstanding which provides a really nice modelling environment. The good news is that it's now free the bad news is that it's no longer under development.
    I tried Sketchup recently (I've tried most of the non-pro 3d apps now) and found it's got some really great functionality - but for me I still prefer tS. It's probably just a question of what you are used to.

Oh yeah - I stuck a pin in your map, bottom left hand corner.

@Steel General - wow, over 7000 posts - you must take this stuff pretty seriously! I checked out sme of your maps too - I like the style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast