Thread: My Campaign Island - WIP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My Campaign Island - WIP

I've finally gotten enough other projects out of the way that I can start on a large scale campaign map. I've played with CC3 for years but never really bothered to learn it so I'm actually tackling two projects at once. Gandwarf's Valley has been a huge inspiration for me and you can probably see his influence in the mountains that I've done so far. I'm pretty happy with them btw. After a lot of trial and error, I think I'm starting to get better.

Clearly this is just the beginning but I figured if I started a WIP thread, I might feel more pressure to work on it. : )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	26161

The final map will be printed out 36" x 36" at 600 dpi. I exported a PNG with those settings to see if CC3 would have any problems with that. After 10 minutes I went and made a burger so I don't know how long it really took but it wasn't quick. Then I reduced it down to 72 dpi (in PS) so it was a more reasonable upload.

Since the final image will be 36" wide and represent 500 miles, that means that the cartouche which represents 50 miles will be 3.6 inches printed. I fiddled with zoom until the cartouch measured 3.6 inches on my screen so I could see how big symbols would look on the final image. I think that's a pretty slick technique. Anyway, that's how I decided on the scale for the mountains. Not sure if there's a better way but I think the scale worked out pretty well.
    ________
    yamaha shs-10 history
    Last edited by OldGuy; 02-09-2011 at 01:34 AM.