Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [WIP] Estreoth

Right sooo.... I went slightly nuts. Instead of trimming down the ocean and forgetting about the other continents, I did another expansion. The map size roughly (give or take a margin of error) covers the same area as a map of the Earth. Total surface area is 510,126,516 square kilometers.

The new northern continent has had mountains planted and detail added, but the other two haven't. Personally I'm on the fence about the two unfinished continents. They seem to lack character in their shape. There map also seems too narrow, so I might have to do some moving and scaling later on.

This'll be the last expansion in terms of map size. Since any further expansion will cause the map scale to go off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EstreothMapAlpha3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	26417  

The Sundered Land has gotten detail and mountains, so has the southern continent. At the moment, the southern continent really doesn't have any lore or detail to it, but I'm thinking of making the former capital of the gods there, along with some nice little treats that they've left behind. I've tossed in some new villages and cities here and there, but sadly not where they're needed. A lot of new regions still need to be named and some area's still need more detail painted. I've started adding a few nation borders (not seen in this map however) and I found a technique I like.

Also pardon the large amount of double-posting in this thread.

Thinks to do(currently):
    • Finish adding rivers.
    • Add large lakes.
    • Add more new cities.
    • Draw trade routes.
    • Finish nation borders.
    • Add map border.
    • Make a new compass.
    • Enlarge scale bar.

Name:	EstreothMapAlpha4.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	26608  

Nice choice of colours. The change from desert to grassland is smooth.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Necro? Oh you bet.

So my little map has been sitting on my computer for a year now, gathering dust all the while, chiefly due to the .psd being somewhat unwieldy, currently sitting at 146 MB. I've been working on it occasionally, making small changes here and there. Overall the map looks quite a bit better but there's still a lot of area that needs to be fleshed out. (I need to sit down and brainstorm names for regions and countries and settlements, but I've been hoping my co-writer would join in for that.)

Attached is a highly compressed version, down from the usual 4+ MB.

Name:	EstreothMapLQ.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	37320  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey, good to see you continuing this! I really like those massive canyons on the western continent.

Yeah, those Sundered Lands look fantastic! Also, nice work on the map elements as well. Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

One thing that continues to bug me is the region surrounding the Vehra Wasteland. Maybe I just need to play around with some of my detail brushes a bit, but the border-zone sticks out in a bad way to me. Perhaps some low mountains would do the trick? Some un-glaciated grasslands like this area perhaps?

Either way I thank thee both for your kind words.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

What you might try are some color splotches. Deserts are not totally sandy colored - they have browns, grays, reds, oranges, yellows, and whites so maybe use that as the transition. Or some hills, shrug. Not sure what those hachure lines are but I like them and the effects on the terrain in places (some places not so much).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Oh right, I never have put those in the map elements. Those black lines running between the cities are major trade routes and/or roads. The straight ones that go over the oceans are major shipping routes. For the most part their just drawn on with a rough hand. But in mountainous regions, I make them follow the contours of the land. Some look better than others and there's a good portion of them on flat terrain that look pretty uninteresting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12