Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Style WIP - Victorian

Professional Artist

Hmmm, I went to steampunkwallpapers.com (or something like that) to find a good background image, and screened it way back in photoshop, and added a second paper texture that I found thru google image search. There's a watermark? Where is it, I need to know so I can brush it out.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I think he may be referring to the actual postmark that's blended into the bakground texturing.. The one right under "The Great Ocean" label looks very much like a stamped postmark off an envelope
    (if i'm wrong, so be it, but it looks that way to me, heh)

Wonderful work you have there. Can't wait for it to finish so i can snag it for my inspiration folder!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Professional Artist

Okay, found it.
    The background I used started from this:
    http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs41/f/20...tash_stock.jpg

So yeah, the word "postmark" is on there. And also, a pennyfarthing velocipede. I think I'll leave it.

I noticed a few of the mountain hatchures are pointed the wrong way - I'll get them fixed up later tonight and then I think I'll call this one done.

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    Bodoni and Didot are excellent stereotypically 19th century fonts, and yes, Winkel isn't exactly the most 19th century of world map projections (but I myself used it for MINE anyway. Winkel II and Winkel triple are from the late 1910s/1920s so it's not that far-fetched )
    You know, I used to think that typography wonks who said that you can't use, say, 20th century fonts for 18th or 19th century texts were full of it. But really, using a Winkel on this obviously Victorian map is just ... wrong! I don't think it's a matter of invention date -- Winkel is the projection used in my National Geographic wall map, and my desk atlas, and seems irretrievably linked to "modern" maps. I know I suggested Mollweide in my earlier message, and it's from the early 19th century, but it's the map of mid-20th century atlases (I see a particular map of the tectonic plates whenever I think of the Mollweide projection) and wouldn't be any more appropriate than Winkel. The 19th century is Mercator, the British Empire coloured pink; or maybe something a little more modest, an equirectangular perhaps. The 18th century is a pair of globulars or Lamberts, one for each of Old and New Worlds.
    Yeah, this is all subjective, I know, but I think it's an important part of the cohesiveness of a map -- maybe not as important as, say, fonts (sigh), but important nonetheless.

(As to your own maps: the style of your Ysi map is alien enough that it doesn't bear many projection expectations (besides maybe "pre-modern"), so a pair of Lamberts works fine. Your Steamopera world map isn't as highly polished, and I think it has balance issues, so the choice of projection isn't the most obvious problem. I suspect, though, that if you polished the map and made it more aggressively Victorian, the projection would be jarring.)

(And on topic -- HandsomeRob, the map is fantastic! It has now replaced your own modern style as my favourite map from this site. Awesome!)

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Incredible thread necromancy here, but I have to know: Handsome Rob, did you create that forest pattern yourself and if so, would you be willing to share it for others to use? Or failing that, any tips on how to create something similar? I've been going nuts for the last few days trying to recreate it...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345