Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP - VA'DUM The Eldest & Most Primal Dominion

Banned User

Default WIP - VA'DUM The Eldest & Most Primal Dominion

Hey everyone. I wasn't going to make a work in progress thread for this map as I wanted it to be a completely new to everyone when I finished it, but it's going to be awhile before it's done so I might as well share my progress.

I finished the Ulthui V3 map and people seemed to like my mountains. I find making them pretty fun and relaxing so I went to do some more, originally thinking about doing a full map for a country in Ulthui.
    However, I didn't really feel like it, so I took the mountains I had just drawn and decided to make a map that would be filled with them. The idea then evolved into something much more interesting and challenging. I feel like working under the constraint of traditional maps lessened some of my creativity and style so I said screw it and decided to toss out all logic and do a map in a style I've never tried before. I then realised that this map was going to be a titanic job.

Simply put, VA'DUM is the first 'world' created by chaotic Old God's. I've been toying with the idea that the world could be their playground of creation.

Progress 1 (I took my spiral mountains and drew in the rest of the map, finally deciding to do it in an isometric style:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	71765

Progress 2: (I got painting!)

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	71766

Progress 3: (Drawing out more of the map)

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	71767

Progress 4: (Painting in higher detail)

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	71768

Progress 5: (Starting to paint in the rest of the map. I didn't fully realise how big a job this will be. The rivers and perhaps their colour is just temporary at the moment)

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	71769

I want to be a villain and live there. It looks awesome.

That is looking awesome Sarithus. I love the green glow on Mount Vuldramas.

WOW! This is fantastic. I cannot wait to see the final image. I love the contrast of the dark background and the fiery glow, and the greenish tone stands out beautifully.

I'm glad you're sharing your WIP because it's a delight to see it coming together.

Great looking map. Have to agree with everyone's previous statements. Love the rivers coming out of the central peak. Can't wait to see the rest of the evolution of this map.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow! WOW WOW WOW! (I'd add more, but you get the point.) The atmosphere you've built with this is beyond belief. This is really going to be special when finished. I've recently started reading Erikson's Malazan series, and this looks like it could be the warren of some hideous elder god...

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    I want to be a villain and live there. It looks awesome.
    And goshdarnit, where IS that like button?

[QUOTE=Diamond;265333
    And goshdarnit, where IS that like button? [/QUOTE]

I know, right? Get me used to using it... and liking the 'Like' button... and then it's gone.

I'll add to the din of applause on this one, it's looking fantastic! I'm very much looking forward to seeing this completed.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

The light... THE LIGHT! It glows... I just LITERALLY had my mouth hanging open a second ago. Beautiful.

cheers,
    Meshon

Beastly!!!

I'm dyiiiiiiiing to get down there ande explore that thing slaying all kinds of evil things and stealing their power...to MEEEEMUWAHAHAHAAA...*ahem*

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast