Thread: World of Farland Map in progress

Default World of Farland Map in progress

I have spent days working on this map. It is created entirely in photoshop.

Please give me feedback and/or constructive criticism. I really need it! I would like advice on technique, not geography.

As far as mapping goes, this is definitely the project I have put the most effort into and I want it to be as good as I can make it. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farland_unlabeled.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	71854  
    Webmaster and head designer of The World of Farland: A World conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin.

www.farlandworld.com

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

It looks very nice!

Avoiding the topic of geography... okay, I think I can do that... I'd start with the edges of your forest. Of course it depends on how large your final map will be, but right now the blurred edges are definitely looking like a digital blur. You could try using a stroke around them, or maybe even one of the many forms of adding shadows (my current favourite is using a stroke with a shape burst gradient).

In a similar way the mountains that come right up to the ocean at the north end of your long bay (sea?) looks too clean, maybe add some jaggies! I think that's a technical term...

I'm not crazy about the red dots but honestly that's totally subjective. They're not even bad, I just might like to see something else. You've got this beautiful, realist looking map, maybe try something that might match that style a bit more. Even a tiny sketch of the borders of the city might work.

Keep going!

Meshon

Thanks, Meshon. Those are just the types of tips I'm looking for. You're right about the mountain range and thanks for the tip on the forests. I also was not 100% on the to-be capital city icons. Any examples of a style that you think would look better?
    Webmaster and head designer of The World of Farland: A World conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin.

www.farlandworld.com

Blog Entries

I like the mountains to the southeast better than the northern mountains. The white on the northern mountains seems to wash out some of the mountain detail. Map looks pretty good so far. I like the color choices.

Okay, I tried to take some of the advice. Here is an updated map. Any comments on the labels/font etc? Like it or not? And if not, any suggestions as to font and style?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farland.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	71873  
    Last edited by Farland; 03-21-2015 at 09:57 AM.

www.farlandworld.com

Very nice work Farland! I'm not fond of the sea, though. The texture looks a bit too digital compared to the rest. The fonts are OK for me.