Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The City of Shiel

Another update, what do you think of the fields? I am not liking the river needs something more.

Also, I just got a tablet! it has been fun to start to figure it out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shial23.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	775.4 KB 
ID:	27197  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think the fields are too regimented, looks sort of like Tetris. I'd make them free-form with wiggly edges and thick/thin parts, big fields and little fields, and use hedgerows to separate the fields and also roads. But to keep it in style with the city itself I'd also reduce the color. As for the river, it looks like a canal - chiseled in, it has no banks. I'd reduce the color on that as well and use the Dodge tool (or white or light blue) to put in some color variations so that it's not so flat. Here are two maps that I refer when doing something in this style. Your goal may be different but these may give you some ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sduk_1836_moscow_b.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	27199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stockdale_1800_hannover_b.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	27200  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

must agree with Ascension and also keep in mind the size of the city when placing fields and farms. The roads between fields are mostly paths and fields almost always lie neck to neck ... also when you look at the houses in the city and compare them to the houses on the farms, the farms seems huge. Farm houses where small, and larger farms had houses in L or U shapes or even a square - this could be supplied with extra barns for huge farms.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123