Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The City of Shiel

Wip The City of Shiel

Well I have just found this site and it is awesome!

This is one of my first attempts at making a map. I am playing a PnP D&D game and I volunteered to make the map of the city. The GM left a lot of it up to me to work out which is good. It is a magical city, meaning a lot of the city maintenance is done by magic. Also, the city has small towns in it, like elves, dwarves and gnome/halflings. not sure how I am going to represent that yet. I am going to add buildings in the numbered circles so that should help with diversifying the city. Also I am have trouble finding a way to add represent cobble streets. Oh and the smaller circle is a castle still not sure how I am going to do that either.

I am going for more of a drawn look but have been more worried about just getting the symbols down.

City Map Key
    1. St. Cuthberth (combative deity of Wisdom, Dedication, and Zeal)
    2. Pelor (god of sun, light, strength and healing.)
    3. Parliament (Government)
    4. Arena
    5. City Municipal building (maintenance building /guards/ police station)
    6. Magic academy [Boccob (god of magic, arcane knowledge, balance and foresight) and Wee Jas (goddess of magic, death, vanity, and law)]
    7. Moradin (god of dwarves)
    8. Yondalla (goddess of halflings)
    9. Market place (the Big Little market =) )
    10. Garl Glittergold (god of gnomes, humor, and gemcutting)
    11. Kord (god of athletics, sports, brawling, strength, and courage)
    12. Corellon Larethian (god of elves, magic, music, and arts)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shial2Sm.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	648.3 KB 
ID:	26188  

I am quite a fan of circular cities, so i like this very much.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks really good - I'd make the keep a bit bigger though, not much larger than a house
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

My first thought was "oh look, the Imperial City!" (relevant for anyone who's played Oblivion/The Elder Scrolls IV )

Looks pretty neat so far.

Byt why does no one ever try making a city in the shape of an 8?
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far...

Byt why does no one ever try making a city in the shape of an 8?
    Why don't you give it a shot?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Cuz the guys in the east and west say it looks like an infinity symbol?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

A target-shaped city. How... convenient. :-)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    A target-shaped city. How... convenient. :-)
    *lol* ... GENERAL: They are making it very easy for us... could it be a trap?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Wip

Thanks for all the replies. Here is an up date I put in all the main buildings and tried adding trees. The middle fountain area is a park like. Any suggestions on how to do trees right? Also I am still stuck on cobble stone for the streets. And last I think I am going to color it soon. I want to go far a water colored look, any hints on how to do that right?

New City Map Key
    1. St. Cuthberth (combative deity of Wisdom, Dedication, and Zeal) Description: It has cross as a base but has a spectacular dome covering it. (I am thinking of a byzantine orthodox like church, I think)
    2. Pelor (god of sun, light, strength and healing.) Description: It is bright gold color as the ray like balconies spiral up to the sky.
    3. City Hall / Parliament (Government) Description: A large building with huge pillars in front and a hallway that leads to a great circular room toped with a dome and a "watch tower"
    4. Arena Description: it is actually dug out only the highest bleachers are above ground it has a large pavilion at one end.
    5. City Municipal building (maintenance building /guards/ police station) Description: A simple and very effective building with many many rooms stylized with many pillars.
    6. Magic academy [Boccob (god of magic, arcane knowledge, balance and foresight) and Wee Jas (goddess of magic, death, vanity, and law)] Description: A round pagoda reaching high into the sky.
    7. Moradin (god of dwarves) Description: A strong sturdy building with a great hearth fire in the middle.
    8. Yondalla (goddess of halflings) Description: in the clever shape of her shield it looks like to the untrained eye it might fall over but is in fact very sturdy.
    9. Market place (the Big Little market =) ) Description: Hundreds of little round tented booths dot the area selling every thing that any one could thing of.
    10. Garl Glittergold (god of gnomes, humor, and gemcutting) Description: The gnomes have covered the is shiny mettle making it look like a giant gem shooting out of the ground.
    11. Kord (god of athletics, sports, brawling, strength, and courage) Description: the huge inner circle is a bare perfect for doing any sport or feat one might think of leading out in eight points.
    12. Corellon Larethian (god of elves, magic, music, and arts) Description: In the shape of the crescent moon it is mostly open to the air surrounded by trees and pools only a few high towers peek though the foliage.

Name:	Shial2Sm.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	586.9 KB 
ID:	26207  

For that watercolored look on my Aged Map of Maloumba I just blurred a layer that i colored (see attachment) and set it to multiply (about 35-40%)... the results will be an aged look on parchment so if you want the colors a bit lighter add a duplicate of that layer underneath set to overlay (about 30%).

Name:	colors_layer.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	26208  
    Last edited by a2area; 06-24-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast