Thread: WIP - Map of Sernia and Terris Continents

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip WIP - Map of Sernia and Terris Continents

This is my second map in GIMP - this one still being a WIP. I'm using Gidde's Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged) tut for it, so hats off to Gidde!

The map is for a Pathfinder campaign I will be running, and as I do not have a lot of time, I took the general outline from the game Iron Dragon (my thanks and apologies to Mayfair Games) and altered various parts of it. Because of that, I don't think it is a very realistic world (coastline, placement of rivers, trees, and mountains etc.), but it will work for my purpose. For future maps, I would like to better figure out actual terrain dynamics. The world name "Annun" is temporary - I don't think I like it, but that's what i named the file for now.

I don't love using paths to make rivers in GIMP - it takes a lot of time for ok results, although RobA's Tapered Rivers in GIMP script-fu helps a lot. I'm using a mac, so any suggestions for a program other than GIMP to work with rivers? I attempted to hand-draw rivers, turn them into paths and then use the script, but my-mouse-man-ship also leaves a lot to be desired (I'm appreciating how nice it would be to have a tablet - although kind of an expensive option for casual mapping), so I turned back to simple paths. A few of them look pretty awkward, but will work for now. I don't like how the rivers are visibly going through some mountains, but that could probably be fixed by better river/mountain placement.

I haven't labelled anything on the map, so that's my next step. I'm also not sure what to do with the fairly large border.

Let me know what you think! Thoughts, suggestions, etc.

~Solo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annun Small.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	717.3 KB 
ID:	26194