Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who wants to make a world?

Wip who wants to make a world?

well, now that im outta school i've found myself with an abundance of free time on my hands, so i thought why not make a map. I'm still learning how to do this in photoshop, but i do love making worlds and such, so i my idea is to have people make their own section of the world and then combine it into one map. Then as a group make a collaborative history for the world and such. So who wants in?

Um… take a look around, you're currently posting in a forum devoted to that very project! We've got a world generated by Fractal Terrains, and we split it into something like 30 tiles. We're currently working on developing more detail in the current world section before opening another set of tiles. Look through the maps in this area of the board, and check out the wiki. If you see something that strikes your fancy, post up a thread and start mapping!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

Yes yes yes - we have our Cooperative World Building Project here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/fo...ilding-Project

and there is a link to a wiki so you can edit in your extra cities etc and villages. I have a link in my sig for the CWBP place index where people have mapped bits so far.

Theres hundreds of cities marked on the regional maps with no city map and you can do higher res regional maps within a tile or make up a new smaller place and map it. Each of the tiles are about 600 miles across so we have not even scratched the surface of the place so theres loads of options to put in extra stuff.

Click for higher res version

Oh and its all creative commons licensed NC-BY-SA so its guaranteed free, you can use this for your game, modify it and repost it but please acknowledge the sources of the maps as per the CC BY part of the license and note that maps derived from it must be CC licensed the same (the SA part).
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-18-2010 at 06:44 AM.

this is intended to be a whole new world though, independent of the projects already going on here, this is more like a team recruitment thread i guess.

Blog Entries

Ok I understand. What is it about the world that you want to create that is different from the project here because it sounded identical.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It might be, he just wants to start a new project with new folks and new maps.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    It might be, he just wants to start a new project with new folks and new maps.
    you are correct, it is probably mostly if not entirely similar, but i want to start a new world with new people and i figured this would also be a fairly fun community project.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre216 View Post
    you are correct, it is probably mostly if not entirely similar, but i want to start a new world with new people and i figured this would also be a fairly fun community project.
    yeah but why come to a cooperative world building forum with a big cooperatively built world, and say you want to start something which is essentially exactly the same as what is already happening?

Blog Entries

Well our world which is as yet unnamed I think is here:
    http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/Th...rld_Color1.png

and the region with all the tiles we have done called Ansium is in the top right hand side. The island on the far left top is taken too but the rest is free to map. So if your prepared to map under the CC license then you can use this map as a base and ask about mapping another bit which is completely barren at mo. I gotta tell you tho that we struggled as a group to get all of Ansium finished so if it were me Id pick a pretty small part of it.

Here is a video showing the world + Ansium and some of the smaller maps as part of it.
    http://viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/VD_Dem...gDale_x264.avi

I'd help you out in mapping a new part of the world so far but geez, we as a whole mapping site have been at this one for a few years and I haven't the stomach to start a whole new one. I'd prefer more bits of the areas covered so far because then you can run some RPG adventures in there and get some coverage but if you have only interest in larger scale mapping then id not stop you doing some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast