Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sm/Med Sized hand drawn town

Wip Sm/Med Sized hand drawn town

So I got the urge to bust out the graph paper last night and draw a world map.. and start on a few towns as well.
    I managed to finish this one before going to bed. I guess I'm kind of satisfied with it.
    I'd like to paint it in photoshop, but I've never gone about trying to 'paint between the lines' on PS.

Anyone got a link to a good tut on this? I already tried my hand at it, and the faded, washed out colors look really good against the hand drawn lines, but getting an area filled without going over the lines was a bit hard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hand drawn town 001.png 
Views:	769 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	26249  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice looking town
    concerning coloring it in PS you have a couple of choices
    1. you can make a new layer (or several I would suggest one pr color) and use a soft brush and manually stroke the colors on - the look wouldn't require the brush to stay within the lines... you could even switch on wet edges for a watercolor look
    2. you can use the magic wand (select all layers), and when you've selected the chosen area, go to SELECT > MODIFY > CONTRACT and contract the selection by 1-2 pixels before filling it.
    and basicly don't forget to zooom zooom zooooom ... work at 4-600% then its easier to control the strokes...and don't use too big a brush

looking forward to seing more
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

oh... and concerning stuff like grass between houses and such... you can also choose to paint over everything, and then erase the houses out afterwards
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks I'll have a go at it and see what happens!
    I basically started doing what you suggested earlier, with multiple layers and one color per layer. Guess I was just hoping for a less tedious way than zooming in haha.

First off, nice little map. I like the layout. It'd look great colored in a watercolor style.

Use this image as a layer set on Multiply and then paint on layers that you add underneath. The lines will show on top of whatever you draw and your original artwork will stay intact. You can try other blending modes as well if you want but Multiply is the one I use most. Hopefully you're okay with keeping the grid, though, because I reckon that'd be hard to remove without destroying the drawing.

Hope that helps.
    M

Having a love/hate relationship with zoom..

Anyhow, here's where I am at the moment. It's been kind of difficult to contrast the colors against each other, since they are all flat and sort of similar in shade, but I do like the colors so far. Never scanned anything and colored it in before.. so it's a learning process for me.

Name:	color fill 1.png 
Views:	163 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	26260  

I think it's going to look pretty nice when done. Good stuff.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Progressing nicely...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

A little more done.
    Need to add just a little bit of texture to it I think.. that and paint the hundreds of little houses

Name:	folor fill2.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	26270  

I am really liking your map! Something that might help you out is if you have done all the other colors on different layers and you have pretty much done every thing painted but the houses, you could marquee the surrounding layer by ctrl/command clicking the little icon on the layer in the layers pallet. Then inverse the marquee by ctrl/command + Shift + I. Then you can paint the houses with out having to worry about going out side the lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast