Thread: My newest project. WIP

Wip My newest project. WIP

So I just started this new project, well to be honest its a re-imagining of a land I created years ago, it's an oriental style land, very influenced by Japanese culture, but I also draw on other influences. this is a very rough draft, I want to change the color scheme, make it seem more of an old Japanese painting.

Update: 7/4/10

lol, this is quickly turning into a huge project, and my head is about to explode, but i'm almost to the part where visible progress can be shown, hopefully on my days off i'll have something to show.

So I just made a prototype Compass Rose, I think I'm almost happy with it, but I'd love some Constructive Criticism
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tenshi copy.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	26348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compass Rose copy.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	26672  
    Last edited by bobslayer; 07-06-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Update

I like it, This should go quite well.
    I take it the black lines are borders right?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking good.. thats a lot of territories to keep track off.. perhaps the mountains could use a bit more definition? Looking forward to seing more
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As to tilt's want for more defined mtns...just duplicate the mtns layer and that should do just fine (usually does for me) but you can also change the settings if you want for different effects. As for wanting a more "Asian style" map you'd have to hand-draw that with one of those big soft brushes that they use. There used to be a guy on PBS about 20 years ago that I used to love to watch with his brush and paper. But for starters I'd lay down a layer of tan paper and tone down the land colors so that they're more muted. Try this...layer of tan set the blend mode to color or hue and then reduce opacity to bring some color back in. Then use some brushwork on other layers to hide or pop certain color areas.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps