Thread: How can I make a dashed line in photoshop?

Default How can I make a dashed line in photoshop?

I know how to make a dotted line, but Id much rather have a dashed line. But the dashes never follow the angle of the path.
    How do I go about fixing this?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you have to set angle jitter to direction
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Ah!
    Thank you

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

There are a lot of ways.

1. Easiest is the dotted line. Take a round tip and in the Brush Editor set the spacing to 200% (or more).
    2. Take something like the hard square 10 pixel tip and put it in the Pencil tool. In the Brush Editor, increase the spacing to 200% and set the roundness to 30% (this makes it a 3 by 10 rectangle now), also set the angle jitter to direction.
    3. For something fancy, like what you often see in atlases such as dotted and dashed lines, you will have to use paths and the eraser tool. Using the Pen tool make your path, using the other pen options edit and tweak your path, then stroke the path with whatever tip you want. Eraser tips work just like brush tips so set up your tip and then stroke the path. Use this to erase something like large chunks then go back and stroke the path again with dots (dots that are smaller than the line is thick). When done delete the path.
    4. You can make your own custom brushes but when you do so remember that PS will "read" this brush tip from left to right as if you were making an arm gesture from left to right. So if you make something tall and thin it will create a line that is fat. If you make something wide and thin it make a line properly.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Praise

I've had that problem too! Thanks Tilt! ^_^

Thank God I stumbled on this topic! I think a major obstacle to my quest for sweet-looking hachure marks just crumbled.