Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Absolute Universe: Estalleon

  1. #1

    Default Absolute Universe: Estalleon

    A funny name I know. Anyhow this is a map of one of the continents of the fantasy world that has been kicking around in my head for half my life. Done using Ascension's tutorial (classic!) along with a few modifications. I think I am okay with the borders represented as how they are, but I still can't seem to find a font that works to label cities and large features both! They seem to look good small but bad large or the other way around. Oh well.

    Scenario: It's been about 1200 years since the last survivors of the great technomagical civilizations united in a final effort to defeat the demi-gods that had enslaved humans for cattle and sport and destroyed their original civilizations. While they were successful in ending the threat, their societies too collapsed and most of the world has had to rebuild without help. The major legacy of the past lies not in inspirational ruins (though some exist) or ancient magical technology (barely any exists) or even in geography (for which the rough geography of the world is known to most) but in the knowledge of human potential: that humanity once dominated the world with an incredibly advanced society.

    The map I up as a WIP a few days ago, Drogen (not German!) is located not far off map from Gate, which is their colony.

    Apologies for the large size.

    ED: After reading the advice on the thread, I decided to try a re-letter and re-bordering. The Version 1.1 is posted here.

    Original HERE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Estalleon.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	618.7 KB 
ID:	26365  
    Last edited by SSJPabs; 06-28-2010 at 05:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Guild Journeyer Aelyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Europe
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Nice I see you improved your style since "Drogen". The sea looks a lot better now. The dotted lines are national borders? Perhaps you could make a few more dots, right now it's rather difficult to follow the lines with your eyes.

    And btw, I don't think the name is funny. At least not in any of the languages I speak
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

  3. #3
    Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Trelleborg, Sweden
    Posts
    4,657
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    very nice map... I agree with Aelyn about the number of dots, also the textured forests clash against all the none-textured elements - so you need to texture the rest. I also feel the labeling is a bit dominating, that could be toned down a little - perhaps going down a few font sizes ... but looking good indeed
    regs tilt
    :: My art on Deviant Art :: My mapping blog tilts fantasy maps :: My work Catapult - Perry & Gehrke - EasyTruckIT ::
    :: Finished Maps :: WIP Cartographia - Breakwater -Market -Lands of Twilight -Battle City :: Competion maps Iron Giant ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

  4. #4
    Guild Apprentice bobslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, US
    Posts
    26

    Default

    this is really cool, but I think the mountains look kinda flat, I really like the way you did your water, looks pretty good! Have some rep

  5. #5
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Charles, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    8,332

    Default

    It's a very lovely sea but we don't really need to see all of it so I'd cover up a lot of it with a darker solid color that fades near the coasts.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)


    My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aelyn View Post
    Nice I see you improved your style since "Drogen". The sea looks a lot better now. The dotted lines are national borders? Perhaps you could make a few more dots, right now it's rather difficult to follow the lines with your eyes.

    And btw, I don't think the name is funny. At least not in any of the languages I speak
    Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    very nice map... I agree with Aelyn about the number of dots, also the textured forests clash against all the none-textured elements - so you need to texture the rest. I also feel the labeling is a bit dominating, that could be toned down a little - perhaps going down a few font sizes ... but looking good indeed
    I have now redone the dots by hand. Unfortunately I can't really change the forests easily but I will go back and work on that in future maps. I also toned down the labels somewhat I think. I used to be quite good a labels and borders but since I started this new style I don't quite have the hang of it yet. Tips are appreciated.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobslayer View Post
    this is really cool, but I think the mountains look kinda flat, I really like the way you did your water, looks pretty good! Have some rep
    Yes, I see what you mean. I should see if I can try to add some more obvious peaks in the future. The water was done by opening up a new project the size of the map, selecting a dark water color, then Render>Clouds, Ripple Large at 999%, Ripple Medium at 999%. Then I placed it over and modified the clouds render that I used for main map as per Ascensions tutorial and edited some of the details on the layer. The layer style was modified but I can't remember it off hand. I think it was just multiply.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    It's a very lovely sea but we don't really need to see all of it so I'd cover up a lot of it with a darker solid color that fades near the coasts.
    Good advice, I attempted it, but wasn't able to do it satisfactorily (it looked very abrupt). I will have to experiment and practice some more with the water, in the future.
    Last edited by SSJPabs; 06-28-2010 at 07:07 PM.

  7. #7
    Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Trelleborg, Sweden
    Posts
    4,657
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    looking nice... and a note for future reference - the idea with the WIP thread is for people to see the work done on the map from when it started to its finished - so please leave the original map intact and put the revised map in a new post (in the same thread), that way we can compare and those coming late to the party can also participate - and learn
    regs tilt
    :: My art on Deviant Art :: My mapping blog tilts fantasy maps :: My work Catapult - Perry & Gehrke - EasyTruckIT ::
    :: Finished Maps :: WIP Cartographia - Breakwater -Market -Lands of Twilight -Battle City :: Competion maps Iron Giant ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    looking nice... and a note for future reference - the idea with the WIP thread is for people to see the work done on the map from when it started to its finished - so please leave the original map intact and put the revised map in a new post (in the same thread), that way we can compare and those coming late to the party can also participate - and learn
    Yeah, I thought it was done done so that's why I posed it in the finished section, ha. I'm not going to change it from what's posted right but in the future I will be heeding your advice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •