Thread: Duchy of Argot

Default Duchy of Argot

This just started out as a sketch map that I've been using as a reference but I started to tidy it up a bit. I'm not great at regional maps either so I need to practice things. It is intentionally vague around the periphery because I haven't done the Kingdom map yet and this will ensure it will "slot in" to that map.

I'm not sure where to take the colouring or if to just leave it plain. I can always do a proper version another time. Also I don't know if I should put the town labels on the map itself or put numbers next to the town and put the names in a key. I also forgot one of the shields. I should probably make a decent border too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duchyofargotWiP.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	75684  
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

This looks really good so far. Do i remember correctly, that Argot is the duchy where some of your earlier maps are placed (i think you mentioned this somewhere)? Looking forward how this develops!

Edit: Since i admire your coloring, i'd love to see it colored! I personally prefer labels on the map itself (if its manageable)
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 08-27-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Yes, Argot is where you'll find my maps Alfirm, Carremvek, Raedirk Freehold, and Carruport.

Very good start. I like a lot the paper and coloring, and the linwork is (as usual) excellent. Looking forward to see more.

I love how the blue fade off to the background, I think the towns on the map are better, too much eye fatigue going back and forth from key to map. Keys/Legends work better as identifiers and not lists in my opinion.

This is looking lovely already, and I also love the way the sea fades out.

I kinda want to see a coloured version AND a plain version, cos I'm demanding that way! I think it looks great with minimal colouring, which emphasises the line work, but I also know you'll do a great job in colouring it, so I'd rather like to see that too. Either way, it'll be interesting to watch it develop.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I think the softly colored version would fit best. Also for this type of map I would put the names above towns. I really love your work.

Cheers
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Chick: It'll be easy enough to do a coloured and non-coloured version as everything is on separate layers so I'll try that.

Barek: want to try and keep the colour more subtle than usual if possible - that will be the challenge!

So I haven't added any more colour to it yet but I did do all the heraldry and some of the labels. It has occurred to me that I can't actually finish this map. I haven't named all the places yet and the names tend to come to me when I'm working on the individual places themselves. I do KNOW what all those locations on the map are and there will be other minor ones to add too. But names are something I agonize over. It is nice to have a presentable map though and it'll be easy to update as the Duchy is developed further.

On a side note those names do obey some basic rules so are (mostly) internally consistent even if they don't appear to be!

Anyway the only thing left for me to do is the colouring of the land now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duchyofargotWiP.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	303.6 KB 
ID:	75722  

I do love the clean simplicity of this and your shields are nice. I really like how some of them are a bit broken up and want to know the story behind that!

Looking forward to the coloured version, and I'm glad you're going for a subtle palette. I think that'll work beautifully.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"