Thread: An abandoned map..

Map Circle Sea (an old map of mine)

This is a map I drew twelve years ago. I carried it around in my bag throughout my ninth-grade year, which is why it looks a little worn. I always intended to set a campaign here, but now I'm thinking it is a little bit too generic fantasy to be interesting to me thematically. It was made with a sketch of a political and cultural history, as well as a few fantastic elements I thought would be cool (the giant circular sea, the temperate city in the middle of arctic ice, the underwater ruins.)

My style has evolved a bit since then and I think a lot more now about a plausible geological history for the terrain, but I'm still doing things basically in the same way - imagine what the area looks and feels like, sketch out major features, concrete it just enough that I know pretty well what's where.

I like the hand-drawn look because I can imagine the map actually existing in the context of the setting, which isn't to say I wouldn't be open to learning how to polish this up with GIMP or what have you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old_map.gif 
Views:	220 
Size:	677.2 KB 
ID:	26371  
    Last edited by Turnpikelad; 06-29-2010 at 05:50 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar
    St. Charles, Missouri, United States

That's a good map, there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ann Arbor, MI

Doesn't look abandoned to me! Love it (0:

Quote Originally Posted by a2area View Post
    Doesn't look abandoned to me! Love it (0:
    Thanks so much. Your Torent map is an inspiration to me.

It's only abandoned because I've got a different project I'm working on right now. I should post it but I don't have a scanner and these things look really crappy if you just try to point a camera at them...

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Trelleborg, Sweden
    Blog Entries

very nice map indeed... yes, one of the advantages of computer mapping is that you don't have to have a working scanner to show it to others
    regs tilt
    :: My art on Deviant Art :: My work Catapult - EasyTruckIT ::
    :: Finished Maps :: WIP Cartographia - Breakwater -Market -Lands of Twilight -Battle City :: Competion maps - na ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

For a handdrawn map it certainly is impressive! I just found an old map I drew about 10 years ago and I'm *almost* appalled at what I was thinking back then ^.^ Looks like you were thinking just fine back then; just because your process - both for map ideas and creation - has evolved doesn't mean this "abandoned" map has to languish forever! Cleaning it up with GIMP or Photoshop might be a great way to see it in a new way - maybe even getting a good alpha map (Jezelf has a nice tutorial on that) to see the shapes of the landmasses would revive the map and get you thinking about new/better/different ways of setting it up. Good luck, wherever this goes!

- Alizarinerose
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

Whoa, nice. I remember trying to draw maps in ninth grade and mine were nowhere near as nice as this one.

People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...