Thread: First Map

Default First Map

Original title, eh?

First off: props to RobA for his amazing tutorial.

It's technically not finished, however this is as far as I intend to go with this first map. For me, it was more of a test run to see if I was familiar enough with GIMP to even follow a tutorial.
    I would love some help with the grass/plains and dirt/desert textures. I like how the trees turned out (may pop a little too much, but meh) and the mountains, but the grass and dirt just absolutely ruin this for me.
    I can tell my coast lines need work. Also, the tutorial didn't provide information on the underwater texture so I had to substitute something I came up with on the spot. If anyone has suggestions on that, I'm open.
    All-in-all, I'm proud of myself. Even if it was a tutorial that got me through this, I didn't expect my first map to look half this good.
    Comments/suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Practice Map.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	576.5 KB 
ID:	26557  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice little map.. you might wanna post a bigger version when you post so we can see more details. The trees are a bit shiny but nice texture - however concidering the size of the mountains the texture is a bit "big". Other than that it looks good - keep up the good work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

The "shiny" on the trees can be toned down pretty easily with a quick overlay of a noise layer (make a layer, fill with 50% gray, Filters -> Noise -> HSV noise with color 0 and value 30 or so, set Mode to overlay). It does a great job of getting rid of the shiny/plastic feel while keeping the great texture you have going. I agree with Tilt in that I'd like to see a higher res shot of this, but that's just a matter of making the next map bigger Great first work!