Thread: An abandoned map..

Map Circle Sea (an old map of mine)

This is a map I drew twelve years ago. I carried it around in my bag throughout my ninth-grade year, which is why it looks a little worn. I always intended to set a campaign here, but now I'm thinking it is a little bit too generic fantasy to be interesting to me thematically. It was made with a sketch of a political and cultural history, as well as a few fantastic elements I thought would be cool (the giant circular sea, the temperate city in the middle of arctic ice, the underwater ruins.)

My style has evolved a bit since then and I think a lot more now about a plausible geological history for the terrain, but I'm still doing things basically in the same way - imagine what the area looks and feels like, sketch out major features, concrete it just enough that I know pretty well what's where.

I like the hand-drawn look because I can imagine the map actually existing in the context of the setting, which isn't to say I wouldn't be open to learning how to polish this up with GIMP or what have you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old_map.gif 
Views:	241 
Size:	677.2 KB 
ID:	26371  
    Last edited by Turnpikelad; 06-29-2010 at 04:50 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's a good map, there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Doesn't look abandoned to me! Love it (0:

Quote Originally Posted by a2area View Post
    Doesn't look abandoned to me! Love it (0:
    Thanks so much. Your Torent map is an inspiration to me.

It's only abandoned because I've got a different project I'm working on right now. I should post it but I don't have a scanner and these things look really crappy if you just try to point a camera at them...

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice map indeed... yes, one of the advantages of computer mapping is that you don't have to have a working scanner to show it to others
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

For a handdrawn map it certainly is impressive! I just found an old map I drew about 10 years ago and I'm *almost* appalled at what I was thinking back then ^.^ Looks like you were thinking just fine back then; just because your process - both for map ideas and creation - has evolved doesn't mean this "abandoned" map has to languish forever! Cleaning it up with GIMP or Photoshop might be a great way to see it in a new way - maybe even getting a good alpha map (Jezelf has a nice tutorial on that) to see the shapes of the landmasses would revive the map and get you thinking about new/better/different ways of setting it up. Good luck, wherever this goes!

- Alizarinerose
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

Whoa, nice. I remember trying to draw maps in ninth grade and mine were nowhere near as nice as this one.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...