• Frodo's Journey - by ravells

7 16.67%
  • The Sacred Forest - by Krulwich

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** June 2010 Challenge Voting: Once Upon a Map ***

Blog Entries

Post *** June 2010 Challenge Voting: Once Upon a Map ***

June's challenge was to create a map based upon a book or movie (or comic book) that you enjoy. The map could be of any scale and cover anything from a single scene to an epic series. We had a lot of great entries and congratulations on the fine efforts of all that participated.

You can find the thumbnails...

HERE

Please choose one entry. Our rules state that we allow one vote for each five entries, rounded down. We were one entry short of two votes. Feel free to explain your vote or not, as you wish. Even at this stage, honest criticism is a blessing.

PLEASE GIVE REP TO THE ONE YOU VOTE FOR (along with anyone else you think is deserving).

Finally, as a participant, I would like to thank all of those who provided excellent feedback to all of the entries. Your care and attention is appreciated.

Blog Entries

Kicking it off then. There are many good entries this month, and I have difficulty choosing between them. I'm particularly delighted with Sapiento's Nemo base and BombBomb's DarkKnight's Sanctuary. Gidde's Department of Mysteries hit home as a serial reader of Harry Potter books. Steel General's Tower at Charm was fascinating and intriguing to an old Avalon Hill patron. Ravell's Frodo's Journey captured my awe factor and had me staring at it for well over an hour. Krulwich's entry was unfinished, but it was a great start and I hope to see more from him in the future.

But in the end, I felt a very personal connection to the Valley Forge in Jaxilon's Silent Running entry. This movie aired when I was at a very impressionable age, and though I didn't grow up to be a happy tree hugger, I did grow up with a deep and abiding respect for God's gifts to us and their enduring value in an increasingly technological society. In the end, it is our responsibility to use our capabilities and our courage to stand up for what is important, and our wisdom to know what that is.

Rep to all who spent long hours toiling away to entertain us!
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

My vote hovered between Wheel of Time and Capt'n Nemo. But I eventually chose Immolates piece.

Jax and RE had good ideas, and given more time...
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Hey guys... great entries this month!

I had to vote for Ravells, what an incredible job mapping Frodo's journey! Gave me a whole new perspective on the story seeing it that way. Nice Job!

Dj's artistic style shines like always, and I haven't read about Capt Nemo, but I thought Sapiento's map and concept was really cool.

Lots of great stuff here, keep it up!
    Chris Guerra (PiC) at Fantasy Brewmasters

Wow, guys, I loved all the maps this month! Picking one to vote for was incredibly difficult.

I ended up voting for Dj's map. I love the style and the way the mountains rise off the globe. I also love the way the mountains were done in the Wheel of Time piece.

Gidde, seeing your entry brought a tear to my eye. Oh Sirius, you were so cool.

dangit the server hung up and lost all my critiques. I don't feel like spending a bunch more time going through them.

Everyone did great work but I had to go with Immolate's Wheel of Time - I thought he was the one to beat this round and when I was showing my wife, who is waiting for the next book to release, the entries of the month she kicked me out of my chair to look this one over...well, that told me everything. Plus, his map looks better than the one in the books.

Some of you suffered from my not knowing anything about the story you chose. DJ - gorgeous as usual. I am still learning how to set up a good color palette. SG - I want to play this and it totally took me back to reading those books although it's been years. I may reread them because of this one. Reck, I wanted a joystick to play this platform game. Giddie, not a Potter-ite here and felt lost looking at this although your textures and planets are awesome! Ravel, this was filled with tons of information and I have to give you the vote for most deviation from the standard map. I like what you did with this. And Krul, this looks like a picture. I don't know what story you are about so I can't say much there but good entry.

And I said I wasn't going to do it...

Thanks again everyone and thank you Cartographersguild for the monthly challenge. It gives me something to do while I hone my skills. It's great hanging out with you guys.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

All the entries were great this month, and it was a really fun challenge.

In the end I was torn between Sapiento (such a cool concept and a complete 'mini-world'), Imm (beautifully put together with tonnes of detail and embroidery) and DJ (the art, the art!). I think that DJ has turned me into Pavlov's dog - I just salivate when I see his maps. I went with my gut and voted for DJ. I think I know now what it is: I will probably never have the artistic talent to do what DJ does and that is why I always find myself voting for his entries.

Special mention to Bombbomb's bat-cave which I thought was brilliant too.

Blog Entries

Lots of wonderful entries again. Hard to pick just one but in the end it will probably surprise no-one to know that I went for Immolate's map, it being the closest to my own style and thus the style that really gets my juices flowing.
    Good luck to everyone who entered and congratulations to whoever wins - it's really hard to call who that might be.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

great maps again this month (not that I'm surprised) ... my vote went to Imm for a great map for a great series of books. Sapiento on a close second and cudos to Ravells for his great project, looks damn good ... to bad a few off you ran out of time, there were some nice beginnings too
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I was oscillating between Wheel of Time and Ansalon. Although Ansalon is very spectacular, I finally went for Wheel of Time, it's just perfect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast