Thread: Lands of Aegus: Commisioned Piece

Guild Novice

Default Lands of Aegus: Commisioned Piece

This map covers the area of the world included in the authors upcoming novel and his rpg campaign area. I created the base map using CC2 (yes CC3 is better but I like CC2, have all the addons, and haven't felt like paying for CC3...lol.) After getting all the major components placed in CC2 I exported each layer to a single Illustrator file where I added text, and artsified it. I did all the work at an image size of 18x24 so that the map could be scaled down rather than blowing up. After completing in Illustrator I rasterized & shrunk the map in Photoshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aegus Map 11x14.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	26379  

Huh. I wonder when sticking mountains to the north to block stuff off became common. Thinking back it seems a quite old convention. Anyhow, I am not into the canvas backing but otherwise it definitely is something I could see in a fantasy novel at the store.

How'd you place the mountains?

Watch out for the river police (and, if they exist, even more for the mountain police!). Still, if Prof. Tolkien could get away with it, maybe you can too.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

He made it from an author's stuff right? I assumed he has no control over geography. If the author says "town and river goes X" it's got to go there, right?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

but sometimes its our job to "correct" the author - to protect him from... us *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Novice

This low rez version doesn't show it, and I'll definitely have to fix that, but the rivers are linked by canals. The original authors maps had interconnected rivers and I tried to keep as true to that as possible as most of the regions travel is through riverboats. As to the mountains, using my knowledge of geography (degree in geography with an emphasis in cartography and GIS) I found a way to justify his weird geography with only minor adjustments. So trust me that while unusual the tectonics are plausible ( I took his information and basic map, then found a way to actually justify the placement of his features with weather patterns, water currents, and tectonics). It was a pain, and in the end I figured the world to be about 2/3 the size of earth with a higher average mass, and slightly lower gravity.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sounds like you've done a lot of thinking - I usually just shoot from the hip *lol* ... but I do like my geography and rivers to be realistic - or give that semblance
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise