Thread: Legends 'Dawn of Worlds'

Guild Apprentice

Question Legends 'Dawn of Worlds'

LEGENDS--DAWN OF WORLDS is a unique and enjoyable way to create collaborative and realistic maps quickly and without all that mucking about with all the different details of a solo map.

Basically, this project is a combination of gaming and world building. To play, players (each representing a different God) take a blank map and over a series of turns add everything from mountains and rivers to cities and races using points they accumulate in-game. There is no specific goal other than to create a varied and intriguing world which can be used in role-play, novel writing, etc.

I would be interested in getting a few people together and starting a collaborative project going; we would churn out history, socio-political background, culture, as well as a beautiful map, and collaborate as we did so to keep the creative power flowing. I am basically polling for interest here, and would like to know if anyone else would be excited to pursue something like this. The complete document can be found Here

A map
    which has been created using Dawn of Worlds. (However, and since this is a mapping forum, ours will look much better. Not that they didn't to a great job anyway).

Although I don't think every rule we will follow is included, it gives a pretty general outline of what to be expected. There are really only a few things to know about it.
    • The game is divided into three 'Ages,' each consisting of a minimum of five rounds. In the first, each round represents about half a millennium or 500 years. In the second, each round is comparative to approximately 100 years, and in the final Age, each round covers only a variable two to ten years.
    • Each player receives a random number of points at the beginning of each round. These points may be used to create geographical features, command or create races, trigger catastrophes, and various other godly powers.
    • As the game progresses, a history should be kept of the events and various other acts which happen each round. A timeline should be able to be made, as well as an interesting historical account.
    There are also three positions which will be needed to fill various roles in the game.
    • Overseer: The Overseer will be in charge of watching over the game and making sure nothing outrageous happens. They will also be in charge of resolving arguments about game rules and helping decide the outcome of civilisation wars.
    • Historian: The Historian will be in charge of organising the social and cultural events that happen into a readable history with a follow-able timeline. It would be my preference to see this History compiled not off the map, but rather off of accounts given by each player as the turns progress. These accounts would be written as individual records of the event. If, for example, a city is created perhaps the ruling Kingdom's historian kept a record of the how and why. Or a citizen kept a journal of the move. Or, if a battle happened, perhaps it was a veteran had an autobiography written.
    • Cartographer:The Cartographer will be in charge of creating a workable and interesting map from the scribbles of the Gods. As each player adds his or her own addition to the line drawing, the cartographer should make a similar change on the 'official' map. In this way, a readable map can be created and a central integrity can be kept.

Lastly, and taking into account that this is mainly a mapping forum, I figured a few extra stipulations should be suggested
    1. The Map will be set as a basic .jpg or .bmp or similar file. It will be colour coded according to geographical feature, climate, alignment, etc. As each player adds his or her feature to the map, this should be updated accordingly. It might end up that we have more than one map--one for politics, climate, geography and the like.
    2. Every time a city is created I would like to see a rough sketch of the city to go along with it. I don't know if this will make the game too intense to play, but I think it would help with the history. Also, the city should be represented on the map by a unique design of some sort.
    3. Other suggestions would be welcomed!

This idea is still growing, but I would love to have your input on it. If you're interested, say so. If you think some rules need to be modified, suggest it. I'm looking to see if we can get a collaborative world going that is less of a project and more of an experience--a world-building exercise where you don't get eye-sore from adjusting each and every little piece on your own map so it looks just right. A map which is more the conglomeration of many different ideas, which is what I think any true world ought to be.
    Last edited by Javert; 12-11-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I've heard of this game before; on another forum I belong to, we tried to get one going, but there just wasn't enough interest. Unfortunately now, I don't have to the time to get into it either. If it generates enough interest though, maybe I'll jump in on a later game.

I think the problem you're going to run into there is the passing of the map and everybody using the same software. I agree that GIMP seems to be a good default choice, but I use photoshop and can't say I'm really enthused about learning a new program, even one as supposedly similar to PS as GIMP is.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Sounds interesting and fun, unfortunately I just won't have time to join in.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

I think the problem you're going to run into there is the passing of the map and everybody using the same software. I agree that GIMP seems to be a good default choice, but I use photoshop and can't say I'm really enthused about learning a new program, even one as supposedly similar to PS as GIMP is.
    Very good point. It would be implausible to expect most people to learn a new software for the sole purpose of the game. If I do end up generating the interest, it will probably best to create a third position aside from the Historian and Overseer--a Cartographer. This makes more sense than the idea I had. While worlds are collective they are usually mapped by an individual.

To make this workable, I think the best route would be to use color-coded line drawings which can be edited using GIMP, MS Paint, PS, etc. and save them as .jpgs or something. This drawing should then be submitted to the Cartographer at the end of every round, or perhaps every turn, so that he or she can put it into a workable format. Great suggestion!

And it's too bad you don't have the time General, we would have loved to have you. However, if this thing takes as long to start up as I think it will, it will probably begin early next year. If you have time then, you are more than welcome to join in.

They call these "Map-Games" or "Nation-Games" on a forum I belong to called Alternatehistory.com. You can have loads of fun but it can get confusing in the later turns.

Hey, I didn't knew that game.
    It sounds very interesting.

The only rule (in the pdf) I don't like is the so-called good/evil alignement system. This a bit manichaean. The “alignement” of a race is defined by its actions, and those actions may be differently perceived good or evil from one person to another.
    f)

Anyway I unfortunately currently don't have the time for that either.